Restocked my 10 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkCrow

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Denver, CO
So after a month of tearing my 10 gallon apart and upgrading all the equipment on it (filters, heater, thermometer) and letting it sit in fish-less cycle for a month and a half I restocked it. I don't have pics yet but it is now the home to an African dwarf frog, a clown pleco, and 5 harlequin rasboras. They've been doing great for a few months now and I'm thinking of possibly adding one more to the rasboras and possibly planting it and going for some shrimp.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
harlequin rasboras and clown plecos need a 20 gallon long. the ADF will enjoy company and you should have atleast 3 of them. i suggest taking the pleco and rasbora back or upgrading them, and making the 10 gallon an ADF species tank bc they do better in species tanks.

DarkCrow

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Denver, CO
Harlequins are fine in a 10, and the clown pleco will eventually be in a 20, but for several years he should be just fine in there.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
no harlies are to active for a 10. trust me i had them in a 10 for a little while, and in a 29 theyre wayyy to active for the 10.

DarkCrow

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Denver, CO
Huh, I've kept them several times, for several years on end in 10g and even 5g and they've been great, living 5+ years actively each time.

And what kind of dwarf cichlids work in a 20G tall?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ive always been told they need 20 gallons, and german blues, cockatoo apistos, bolivian rams will al work in a 20 gallon IMO, but dont mix them with corys.

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
Harlequins should be fine in a 10 but with all things, it depends on the fish. I have a school of about 30 in my 150 Asian biotope that seem way to active for it, then I had a school of 5 in a 15 and they barely moved. I would take that pleco out now and put some Fundolopanchax killie in there instead, great color.
As for the 20 high, there is always the possobility of a multi colony!!:naughty:
IF you want to keep rams, apistos or other territorial bottom dwellers (besides shellies) I would recomend a 20 lond instead, bigger footprint.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i wouldnt do killifish in a community except that one killifish that i forget the name of. i also think a 20 high will be fine for 1 dwarf cichlid.

DarkCrow

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Denver, CO
Ooo, killifish are something I didn't think of, I might just have to start the 20 high soon so I can move the pleco and put them in, they seem to be really pretty and nice and active.

And how hard is it to set up the shells for shellies? I hear it's hard to maintain that (how do you clean it? :help:)

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
The thing about killies is that they will breed with other killies and you'll have weird fish. Plus the killifish community are against that and believe killies should stay as they are and not mixed. If you want a killifish community, get ones that are different and not from the same family where they can hybridize. Males are more colorful than females but if you do a all male, there will be one male that beats the others up; Pecking order.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store