Anybody ever see an albino betta? Well, now you have.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Namely mine. :)

albino2.jpg

albinohome.jpg

Found him for - believe it or not - FIVE DOLLARS at LFS last night. Also picked up some black crystal shrimp, which I'd been searching for FOREVER.

Betta seems healthy, except I'm 99% sure he's blind. He doesn't come up top, just hangs along the bottom, picking through the gravel for food. It's like he can smell it but he can't see it, and eventually "hits it lucky" when he finds some flakes that have sunk.

I know they don't live long, and are next to impossible to breed if blind, but I'm very honored to have him for however long I do.

ETA: That blue is iridescence on his scales from the camera flash, not pigment.

albino2.jpg albinohome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Spider_Song

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
very pretty! but the blue in his fins is always there, regardless if a camera flash makes it happen or not - the flash just enhances colours that are already on the fish. IMO the betta isn't a true albino, but he is cute!

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Thank you. Pretty proud of him, not gonna lie. :)

What else would he be then? He's not leucistic because he has no other colors, and in any other light, he's flesh colored. The "blue" just looks like slightly opaque patches. I personally think that it's like that clear holographic craft glitter. It doesn't really HAVE color, just prismatic properties.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
leucistic fish will have dark eyes, because leucism doesn't affect the eyes at all.

i can't pinpoint his exact colour morph (i'm not quite that educated on all the morphs yet), but i would say there is cambodian colouration in his lineage somewhere, hence the colour/iridescence on the fins but lacking on the body.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Usually marble bettas turn this color or if they have a marble parent in their lineage, from my experience. I think it's called cellophane or something like that. Cool betta, too!

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
I also have 2 others.

This is Angelo, my delta tail male found at Petco for $5.99.

043.jpg

He's either a platinum or a very very VERY dilute opaque red. Either way, he was worth more than they charged. They only charge by tail type, not fish type/genetics.

This is Sunny, my $7.99 score from Petsmart:

sunny1.jpg

Dragon platinum yellow butterfly plakat. I absolutely LOVE the yellow on his fins in contrast with his light body.

None of my fish are show quality by any means, but they're all unique and beautiful and make great, animated pets. Have to admit, I'm a bit of a betta snob. Always the first one looking for the "next big thing". I know if I had the money, I'd be into showing and snagging all the rare new morphs that the breeders come up with. Although there is something rewarding about seeing a great fish at a pet store and snickering "You don't even know what you have" to yourself.

I also had a melano halfmoon from Petco, but he died under unexplained circumstances. Fine one night, dead the next morning. :(

043.jpg sunny1.jpg

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Usually marble bettas turn this color or if they have a marble parent in their lineage, from my experience. I think it's called cellophane or something like that. Cool betta, too!
Out of curiosity and on your lead, I Googled "albino cellophane betta" and came up with this:

http://thegab.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=140&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=21&t=20528&start=60

In that thread, there is a picture of a fish that looks almost like my guy, and is blind as well, exhibiting the same behaviors (waiting for food to sink down before looking for it).

Just found it interesting. Although I don't think cellophane is an accurate description, as cellophanes generally have NO color and dark eyes. Is there such a thing as a... partial albino cellophane? Or a partial albino at all? REALLY wish this guy wasn't blind so I could breed him and see what I get, and what I would get on a back cross.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Beautiful bettas. I'm kinda opposite from you, I go for the sickest sorriest looking ones. I love seeing them come back to life after being in such horrid conditions. Picked up a female last night that I had seen a the last three times I was at petsmart. Her fins were a little red and her body was pale with stripes. Over night her fins turned dark red and her body turned a dark plum purple. She's very cute. I think I'm gonna have to set up a another divided ten gallon tank just so that I can get a few more. I just love my bettas.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Nice I like the nearly transparent fins. I've been keeping my eyes open for a black betta.

Like Ratlova said though most of my betta's I bought because I felt sorry for them, they were in real dirty water, low water, or didn't look to good so I ended up buying them.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I really don't know since that is one of the first albino betta I have seen. I usually get my stock overseas or from private breeders where they haven't breed albinos yet. To find out, breed him with a female you like and see what pops up. Most likely, you will get at least another albino or some of the babies, caring the albino gene.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of some stuff they have come up. Dumbo ears? Uh, that just looks funny. Albino is ok but not when you make it where the fish suffers with too much fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store