compatibillity with cory's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
so i have a 10 gallon im in the process of stocking. i have one albino cory but i feel like i will need more of a cleanup crew once the tank is stocked. any recommendations?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Depending on your tank, more corries they are really a schooling fish anyway and happier with a friend or two. If your fish arnt large or aggressive than shrimp are also a good option, and snails.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
10g your pretty limited, really shouldnt keep any less then 3 cories preferably more like 5 or 6. You'd be better off if you can exchange him and get a few pygmy cories. But as said above a few shrimp will help things out and or snails.

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
ok well could i fit 2 or 3 in a 10 gallon? also the only other fish is a sunburst platty at the moment, what kinds of fish would leave the cories alone?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Well the majority of fish you could fit in a 10g shouldn't bother cories, main type that would have problems are bottom dwellers who protect their territory and extreme fin nippers like dwarf puffers. I wouldn't keep 3 cories in a 10g long term although I did have 3 in a 10g for a couple months, they seemed ok but I only had a Betta and molly in with them.

3 cories and a platy your getting close to the max bioload on a 10g, could add maybe a couple small fish like guppies or one more decent sized fish like another platy, or betta, plus a few shrimp and snail.

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
so a betta would be ok with a platy and the corys?

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
I'm going to say no. My school of 7 bronze corydoras (get to around the same size as the albinos) in my 40g make it look small. I would either get a tank more like a 15g or a 20g and up the school of corys or sell or trade your albino cory and get some dwarf corydoras..

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
i had julii corys in a 10 gallon and they seemed ok but they were a smaller cory.
I find they grow to about the same size and they don't belong in a 10g. They do best in schools and a 10 is just too small for them. Get pygmy corys if you want corys. Don't get any bigger sized corys. Platy will likely eat young shrimp so have enough cover. Snails are safer. Betta might chase the Platy as it may see the Platy as another Betta from the color. Plus my Betta always picked on the albino Cory but ignored the regular colored ones so check your tank for any chasing if you get the Betta.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
Not just pygmy corys, but Aspidoras species work as well. Probably better suited too for a ten gallon. Though ThatPetPlace.com has pygmy's for $0.99 ea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store