one of the fish i got for my tank gave birth today wtf do i do

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
so i was feeding my 10 gallon with a sunburts platty, a few random tetra and i noticed this tiny fish fall from the top and settle on the gravel, i looked at some of my floating plants and found more. wtf im guessing one of my fish had these, they are very small and orange with black eyes. wtf do i do with these guys now? i have them in a tupperware.

DSCF0492.JPG

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Platy fry!:) Do you plan to raise them? If not, leave them in the tank to be eaten or raise them, if you have room.

EBJD

AC Members
Oct 11, 2011
plan to see alot more too

u got livebearers! many many fry to come, get a 55G or bigger and an oscar, he will take care of the fry for u :)

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
but i only have one platty, and idk what to feed them, only other tank i have has a betta in it, im guessing she would eat them?

EBJD

AC Members
Oct 11, 2011
thats weird, most lfs seperate the male from females she must have been prego when u bought her, u may(probably wont) not see anymore

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
but i only have one platty, and idk what to feed them, only other tank i have has a betta in it, im guessing she would eat them?
Yep. My guess is she got pregnant at the store tank.

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
is it safe to feed these to my betta?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Betta will eat them and is safe to do so, when I had a couple female mollies that kept popping out fry I stuck a betta in there to get rid of them. Platy's and Molly's can store sperm so its possible you could see 2 more batches of them. If you want to keep any of them you can crush up some flake food into fine powder and give it to them. Might want to look in your filter to I had found a couple mollies growing in mine when the females were popping fry out.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
You have one *now*.

Basically, you buy a female platy or molly, she's likely pregnant. And if you keep any male fry, she'll get pregnant again, as soon as they're up to the task.

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Yeah, out fo the 3-4 molly's I have bought from petsmart... they have ALL been prego.

Prolly had about 200+ fry at one point.. but then my GBR found their hiding spot. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store