pregnant fish ????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
so i bought a pregnant pot belly molly who after 3 days gave birth to 3 healthy babies, 2 dead babies, and 3 or 4 fish eggs. that was about 2 weeks ago. 2 or 3 days ago I noticed that she was pregnant again and thought this might be the other half of the birth as I know they are supposed to give birth to 20 to 60 babies. So I put her in the breading tank last night. woke up this morning and there was just a bunch of what looks like poop int he bottom beneath the gate and she has decreased in size quite a bit, almost to her normal size. so my question is, was she pregnant and abort the pregnancy, or are there still babies in there that will come out in a few days as after a little research I found out does happen, or am I thinking in the wrong direction? the actual date of birth is 9/29.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
I'd let the babies be birthed in the main tank. She's aborting and birthing eggs and dead fish out of stress from being in the breeder. If you take her out she'll be much happier and breed more readily. It's not good for mollies to abort fry.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
She won't have more this birthing, but she may have more as time goes on. The poop may be dead eggs and fry, or just normal poop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store