Birdhouse or wooden house model inside aquarium???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iljadej

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Hey everyone, I want to create a countryside theme inside my 75 gallon freshwater aquarium, do you think it would be safe to put a birdhouse or other wooden house model inside the aquarium??? Thanks.

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
As long as it is JUST wood, with no paint or primers on the wood, I don't see why it should be a problem...

iljadej

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
As long as it is JUST wood, with no paint or primers on the wood, I don't see why it should be a problem...
Thanks for replying, in case I did want to paint the house, what kind of paints would aquarium safe??

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
This is really not a good idea at all. A wooden birdhouse or anything like that is going to rot and make a mess, none of the hobby woods are meant to be submerged. Even driftwood that is not meant for aquariums generally has a long curing period where fuzz and mold grow, unless it is dry and cured to begin with. Slow rot is common in many types of wood.

A resin decoration would be your best bet. Do keep in mind any kind of rasping fish like a pleco or Chinese algae eater, should not be included in a tank with plastic painted decorations, as they will deteriorate it quickly as soon as it starts to grow algae and biofilm.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
You'll probably have the same problem with this as you'd have on un-cured driftwood. Tanins leaching from the wood for a long time. Not necessarily bad for the fish, but the water may change color. If you want a birdhouse in the tank, I'd look for one that is made of resin and preferrably one made for aquarium use. You never know what might be in a "real" birdhouse.

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Ahh, I had forgotten about the different wood used in hobby stores...

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
People use all kinds of toys inside aquariums, from plastic farm animals to army men. Plastic is generally safe, although the paint is more tricky to determine (although if it is safe for children to put in their mouth, it's safe for aquariums for the most part). Bricks and other stones can be used as well. However wood is usually unsuitable - wood rots quickly and only very few kinds of wood are suitable for aquariums. Most of the soft woods will not last long at all in aquariums, and as they rot their pitch will feed a fungus that is bound to envelop them. So stay away from any kind of wooden decorations, go with ceramic or plastic...there is a ton to choose from.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
If you wanted to build a bird-house looking thing, you could use slate and aquarium silicone.

iljadej

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
im thinking LEGOS would actually be perfect, they can make the house look very real and I have read somewhere that LEGOS are aquarium safe and able to submerge. Thanks for the replies!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store