Gold Gourami NOT EATING!!! :( Been at least 5 days since I've seen her eat!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
So like most fish keepers, I watch my fish during feeding to make sure everyone is eating and to do a count to make sure everyone is alive and swimming :0) Well in the last 5 days or so, I've noticed that my female gold gourami, Aphrodite, has not been eating. She makes no effort to get food, it can be right in front of her, and she just watches it.

She has no signs of ich, dropsy, any illness that I know of/heard of. She acts normal, swims around gracefully, occasionally chases the blue gouramis around a bit, but nothing serious. She will sit at the bottom more then the other gouramis, but she also is older, at least 4", the other 4 are 3" and under. (Don't worry, if I have any aggression issues down the road, the trio of blues will find a new home or I'll get another tank ;)) Everyone else has been eating just fine, the water params are
Nitrite- 0ppm, Nitrate- ~35ppm, Ammonia- 0ppm. I do pretty good on water changes, I change 50% every 2-3 days :)

She isn't getting harassed or chased by the other fish, and I've tried frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, zuchinni (my other gouramis LOVE this!) tetra color pellet/disk things, and recently ordered some Cobalt blue flakes in the mail. I was feeding twice a day (only as much as they ate in 2-3 min) but then switched to once a day thinking maybe I was feeding too much, and no signs of changes.

She's certainly NOT shy, she won't dart off when I come up to the glass, so it's not that she is scared either.

I have a 10 gallon qt/hospital tank I could move her too, but I don't want to stress her out any and also wanted to use the tank to qt some more glofish and cories so I can get my schools to proper numbers.

Any advice?

I know I am a little overstocked, but for now some are still growing, here's my stocking
-3 blue gouramis (2 f, 1 m)
-2 gold gouramis (2 f)
-1 albino rainbow shark (craigslist rescue, about 3")
-2 male guppies
-4 harlequin rasboras
-1 glofish
-1 blue tetra
-1 albino cory
-1 peppered cory
-2 striped kuhlis, 1 black kuhli
-6 baby synodontis petricola catfish

{I'm getting 4 more cories (2 peppered, 2 albino), 2 more harlequins, 5 more blue tetras, 5 more glofish, 1 or 2 more kuhlis, and possibly 1 more male guppy. That way everyone is in better schools. (The rainbow shark and 3 blue gouramis will probably be moved when older)

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
It's very hard to say, but absent any other signs of illness, not eating is often the result of bullying by another fish, perhaps when you're not around to see it. I would try separating her and see if there's an improvement.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Well if anything, she is the "bully" I put in lots more Vals and she perked up a little, but still not eating :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store