Are harlequin rasboras nippy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I thought I knew the answer to my question until today.

15gal tall hex tank
1 male veil tail betta
3 harlequin rasboras(2f, 1m)
3 albino cory cats
1 lonely glowlight tetra

Moderately planted

So I've had all of these fish together in this tank for at least 2 months minimum. The betta would give chase to the other fish occasionally if they got a little too curious with his long fins. Last night I didn't notice anything abnormal, everything looked fine, I'm pretty sure the betta looked perfectly fine. Today when I turned on the light the bettas tail fin was completely shredded. So I'm almost 100% this was a over night thing. Being an over night thing I don't believe this to be fin rot. The tips of the shredded tail fin are pale, I'm guessing it's from the obvious damage and scarring. He otherwise seems fine apart from looking a little tired/lazy. A couple days ago I noticed that on my glowlight tetra it looked like he had a small bite taken out of his tail fin, which I had just chalked up to him getting a little too friendly with the betta. I did take the betta out of the tank and put him in a breeder box in another tank until I can figure out where he can be moved to. I honestly have never seen the harlies take chase to any fish but other harlies but what other fish could it be. I thought about maybe he got sucked into the filter and shredded his tail trying to wiggle loose? The filter isn't that big, It's an AC probably rated for a 20gal,30gals at the most. I'm just not sure what to think, I've never had any problems with harlies and I'm curious if anybody else has.

Makes me very sad to see the the shape that his tail is in. Even though he's a veil tail, his fins have gotten absolutely huge since I had gotten him and now he looks like a mess.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I've never had any issues with my harlies being nippy, they are pretty docile fish IME. I have however woken up to a shredded betta fin more than once, even when they were the only inhabitants in their tank. You could be right on the money with him getting sucked into the intake, or perhaps he was chasing his own tail so to speak. The good is that their tails heal quickly, the bad is that they rarely look the same as they did before.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Yeah, I just want him to heal and not get sick. The filter intake tube does have a basket over it but I know with larger flowy fins it can still pose a problem. And now that you mention it I do remember reading something about bettas chewing on their fins cause it bothers them when the current hits it. There really isn't much of a current in that tank but I'm sure there's somewhat of a current, just nothing that I can see. The tank certainly looks void of all color without his beautiful sky blue self:(

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I know what you mean =/ He'll be back to his old self in a few days I'm sure, just make sure that water stays sparkly clean and maybe throw in a indian almond leaf for good measure.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
nope;)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've never kept them with anything as tempting as a betta but IME they hardly even nipped among themselves. Of course sometimes what we see is only part of what actually goes on in the tank. Hopefully they are not the issue...if it is the filter you may want to put some sort of prefilter (sponge) over the intake.

Hope he recovers soon!

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
Agree, my harlequin rasboras are pretty timid. I can't picture them being the culprit. You never know, I guess, though.

You may want to increase the # of rasboras though. They are a schooling fish and I think its best to keep them in groups of 6 or more. Perhaps they are nippier without a school? Couldn't say. Just a thought.

sinner41265

AC Members
Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
Real Name
Barry
I've never seen harlies show any aggression towards any fish other than their own kind, and that was just a little "flaring" at each other. Pretty peaceful fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store