Cichlids and Plecos..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmedic25

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
Its not my first choice but I really would like to re-home my big Pleco. I want to put him in the malawi tank. He is 10 times bigger than anyone one in there. He looks cramped in the 36 gal and I beleive hes outgrowing the filter. The malawi tank it new. 10 Demasoni, 4 Yellow Labidochromis, 3 red zebras, 2 albino zebras. The biggest Malawi is one of the labs. About 1.5 inches. The pleco is about 14 inches. Do you think he will be ok? He looks like this guy...But its not him

jmedic25

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
It will have to be a trial and (hopefully not) error approach. I would definitely try to have a worst case scenario back up plan in case it gets picked on too much...definitely will outgrow a 36g.
Yeah im going to switch him today. We will see how it goes. The back up plan is putting him back in the 36...

jmedic25

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
Ok so I got him moved. I couldnt get him in a pitcher and didnt want to net him. So I put a cotton sock on my hand an grabbed him. It worked pretty well. Gave me good traction and didnt hurt him. Heres a pic of the big bad malawis hiding from him. I think he will be fine.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
When my plecos get that large I toss them in my pond. I have some monster Sailfins in there now as well as a common that has to be 18" if not larger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store