Picking a betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which betta is your favorite/best choice for a non-show quality choice?

• #1 (shipped)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #2 (shipped)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • #3 (LFS)

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters

Robotponys

Registered Member
Oct 11, 2011
I'm going to give breeding bettas a shot so I need some help picking a female. I already have a betta that looks very similar to this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27457302@N07/3010599369

So, my choices are, since I have low amounts of money and am probly never going to be serious, should I get one from Petco or a LFS? They both have good fish and cleanish bowls. The two from aquabid are about $20 with shipping while from a LFS it's about $3-$7. Or should I choose between these $20 ones:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettasct&1319128482
or
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettasct&1319128598
or #3
any pretty betta from LFS
If you have any other suggestions for me, please leave a reply here. Thank you!
P.S I have read over 50 different things (topics, articles, etc) so all I need is your opinion on what female to get.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
If you're not planning to breed I'd go LFS, but if you're planning to breed and be serious it'd be best to find one with higher quality genes.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
^^ if your just trying to see if you can do it buy local. If you want to get serious about it I'd definitely buy my stock from asia.

Robotponys

Registered Member
Oct 11, 2011
betta has been acclimated and was listless and now it's happy and swimming. I put it with my male betta and there was some flaring and chasing at first, but now they swim side by side. :D I know the dangers, but they were both super calm! He has also stopped building his bubblenest, as if he's bored with her lol. I'm going to take her out eventually and try breeding them properly, but I wanted to wait with her in the nice tank. Also, $3 male bettas on my corner :D. Pretty healthy and one is a pretty baby blue. I have extra tanks too!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
The only issue with getting one from Petco is that they are usually already around a year old or so (older ones sell better because of the longer finnage). The older the betta, the harder they are to breed and the ones at Petco are usually past breeding age. If you are really trying to breed, I would find a breeder and make sure you get a pair that is around 3 months old.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
The only issue with getting one from Petco is that they are usually already around a year old or so (older ones sell better because of the longer finnage). The older the betta, the harder they are to breed and the ones at Petco are usually past breeding age. If you are really trying to breed, I would find a breeder and make sure you get a pair that is around 3 months old.
I don't think this is necessarily true. From a business point of view, it's in their best interest to get the fish big enough and shipped out as soon as possible. Waiting a whole year to ship out the fish means space issues, increased food costs, and greater chance of mortality. Also if you look at the size of their bettas, they're awfully small for being a year old. The bettas from my spawn were bigger than most chain store bettas at the 3 month mark. This whole 'bettas from this or that chain store are already one year old' seems to be a rumor that gets passed along the internet without any real evidence. Let alone that different farms probably have different time frames on when they ship out their fish. IMO, a large reason why chain store bettas are hard to breed is because they're in such bad shape by the time you buy them. My success with betta breeding has always been MUCH higher when they came from breeders because they were already in good shape to begin with. They only took a few weeks of conditioning to get them to breed.

CerenaDaft

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
www.youtube.com
I actually went to petco today to look at some stands and I bought a betta. She's a crowntail and she is blue with black speckles. So pretty!
She's less than an inch and a half long and they even had cups marked 'baby betta' because they were to small to determine gender.
So no they aren't always past breeding age when bought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store