WHAT DO I DO ?????????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
So I have a 55 gallon that used to have 5 platties in it, 1 male and 5 females. well about a week ago, my male died. so now I have 4 female platties. Yesterday my girlfriend came over with this new fish for me out of nowhere. it was a blue male platty. I thanked her and asked her where she bought it from. she told me she bought it from the local grocery store. I immediately ran to my room and brought old my old 5 gallon plugged int he heater and put in some water that was supposed to go into my 55 later that day. so anyway I added safe start and put this platty in. I am extremely concerned because I would never really buy a fish from a grocery store. how long should I keep him in the 5 gallon to make sure he will not spread any disease to my other fish? as well as it looks like he is missing scales on his head and it runs a straight line between his eyes to his top fin. what is this? is this something to be concerned about? will his scales come back? can I treat it? what should I used to treat this?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, the basic QT time is 1 month. Beyond that, no help can be offered.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Can you get pics of the affected area? It's hard to tell from a description what it could be... wounds from fighting, scrapes from decor in the previous tank... etc. The best overall remedy will be clean water. You could use some pima/melafix as well, but usually keeping the water pristine will be enough for his natural healing processes to do the job.

Usually people advise keeping a new fish quarantined for 2 weeks to a month.

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
thanks for the first few fast responses. I have a test to go and take but I shall try to get a picture of him up in a few hours, as soon as I get back.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I've heard of some people having up to a 3 month QT time but I would go for about a month. as far as the scales go, I would just keep the water clean and use melafix(It's dont great things for my injured tiger barb) if you want to speed things up. is he eating fine?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Click on the attatchment icon (looks like a paperclip) in the advanced reply window. Browse to the pic, and away you go.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
+1^

quarantine should be 1 month.......u can do 3-4 weeks also if u see nothing wrong.......anyways platies are hardy fish so they should be fine.......and hopefully the new male is also healthy;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store