$450 for 75 gal set up, reasonable?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
I'm trying to find a 75 gallon aquarium set up on Craigslist, and ran across this

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/fuo/2652134118.html

Yes the stuff is nice, but $450 seems steep imo. What would be a reasonable offer you think?
(I offered $150 on a 72 gal bowfront set up, and got a nasty email back)

There are a few other ones, but they all seemed over priced to me, like $150 firm for just a glass tank, $170 for just the tank.

What do you guys think?

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
Seems a little steep... but it sounds like maybe used tanks go for more in your area than they do in mine..

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Well just this weekend I payed $200 even for this tank:
Newtank.jpg
That came with: the 75gallon tank, wood stand, matching wood canopy, glass tops, lights, filter, 100lbs of "natural looking gravel (replaced)", a air pump, 5 goldfish (anyone want? lol), fish food, and just about any water change thing you can think of...

Newtank.jpg

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I doubt you want a wet/dry system. I would keep looking, personally. (I wonder how they ever got to enjoy their tank considering how they have it placed?)

I would expect to pay around $200 or so for a 75 gallon setup with just the basic lighted hood, tank and stand. However if someone is trying to sell something for even $300, and you offer $150, well...you know that isn't going to fly ;)

Generally, I always offer no less than 25% of the asking price. If someone is selling a 55 gallon setup for $100, I might ask for $75.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Don't worry about getting nasty emails. I bet the seller is still trying to unload the tank. Your offer was a lowball(but should have been seen as a starting point), I would have been a legit offer for a normal 75 gallon tank/stand and some equipment.

In addition to lowering your price in the offer, you might strip down what you are including in the price. I think 125 would be a good offer for a tank and stand. Maybe 150 or 175 with light and canopy. At $450 starting, they might not bite.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
They are just trying to get all their money back plus a little. It is nowhere near $450 price tag! Considering I got a 150 for $50 (tank only) off CL. The trick is to be patient. I waited over 6 months until I found the steal of a deal. It was well worth the wait. Thanks to another member here, I scored a 75 for free. I had to wait for several months for it and eventually had is "shipped" free as well.

The question you have to ask yourself is : Are you willing to wait or do you need instant self-gratification?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Waiting for steals is not something I have the patience for, but neither do I want to pay way too much just because all that is currently available is from people who want to get their money back (or most of it).

I would post a WTB ad if possible, and just say what you are expecting and for how much. Maybe give a couple of options, such as price X for hooded light, tank and stand only, or maybe price Y if there is a filter and heater thrown in also.

framcosco

Registered Member
Oct 18, 2011
WOW, $450 for a 75gall?? WAY WAY TOO MUCH in any state. I live in Southern Cal and can get a good used 180gall tank for that price. I highly doubt it will sell for this price. Negotiate.$200 sounds much better.

jmedic25

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
Seems steep to me also. I paid 75 for a used 75 gallon tank, wet dry sump filter, emperor 400. It was a very good deal. Im not sure why above it was said that you wouldnt want a wet dry system. I love mine. Its super simple and very efficent. I like it way more than the HOBS I have. I do want to add I am new to the wet dry system...But I like what I see so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store