How long does fish food last?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I have three containers of fish food underneath my tank that have to at least be 2-3 years old. They are taking up space and if they are no good then I will toss them. One of them was from my torn down planted tank, a gold fish pond, and a miscellaneous container of spirulina flakes. I do not want to become a pack rat, but at the same time do not want to be wasteful.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I was told that anything over 9 months is bad. But from answers I got here when asking the question is after 9 months it looses its nutritional value to them. It is just filling their tiny stomachs without any nutrients they should be getting from the food.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
When I have food that is so old like that, I give it to my friend, who has a pond full of natural fish. His mosquitofish and bluegills have grown really enormous on the 5 lb bucket of Spirulina flake that I got as part of a package deal! I didn't know how old the food was, but it had no smell at all so I'm assuming quite stale. Also, it was stored outside in a shed so I figured it had to have been zapped of nutrition by then.

So anyway, if you know of a place with a goldfish pond or anything like that, I would maybe dump it there...or put it in the compost maybe. If not, just toss it and next time buy smaller containers so they will get used up quicker :)

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I keep my food in the freezer, lasts forever, at least for me it does :) If it's been stored in a cabinet, I would toss it.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I vote 6-12 months...with freezing a good option, Yes, it degrades as the fats & protien ages but it's not a lost cause if you feed other foods too.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
+1^ on freezing;)

i have these tetra crisps with each one a diff. color representing diff. nutrients, it could probably still feed a koi pond with 10 adult koi for 6-8 months with 2 feedings a day
its from when i first started fish keeping 2.5 years ago.......lol

still only done using 10% of it.........****, its huge:)

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
6-9 months if you are a non- pack rat
1-2 years if you are a pack rat
Forever if you are a hoarder

I'm still using betta medly from my first betta which was over a year ago and the fish still seem to go after it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store