Vinegar?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I know vinegar is not something one would generally want in their tank, but how much does it take until it becomes an issue? What will it do besides lower the pH a bit?

I'm asking from a cleaning standpoint, not as a way to lower pH. I like using vinegar to clean my tank, but I worry about getting any drops of it in the water.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A few drops or so are not a big deal but dropping the pH by a lot is...how much are we talking about? I've used vinegar for years to clean "high water deposits", more than that I worry...

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
....I'm a little confused. Are you cleaning a new tank and then filling it? If so, just let it all dry and it is not an issue. Otherwise...what are you cleaning with vinegar?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
A few drops or so are not a big deal but dropping the pH by a lot is...how much are we talking about? I've used vinegar for years to clean "high water deposits", more than that I worry...
Exactly what I was talking about.

I believe the OP wants to clean hard water spots off a currently setup tank. If that isn't the case and it's just an empty tank then there are no issues at all using vinegar...
+1.

Will it do anything other than drop the pH by a smidge? I doubt a few drops here and there will do much in a 55, but I don't want to assume I'm right and turn out to be fatally wrong.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If it makes you feel better you can do a large-ish water change afterwards.
It won't do anything other than alter the water chemistry a bit? If so, then I won't worry about it. It's unlikely that I'd get enough in there to lower my pH to 8.1 from the 8.2 it is out of the tap.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
I've gotten more than a few drops in the tank while cleaning those darn hard water deposits. Hasn't had any effect on the fish that I'm aware of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store