Fish with one slightly cloudy eye help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So just this weekend I did a big move from a 55 to a 75 and transferred all fish into it. Everything was fine until this morning I woke up and saw one of my fish has a cloudy eye! Its not the whole eye its just right in the middle where the black part of it is and when he turns sideways you can see it like extra on the eye. I have roughly 20 fish in my tank and no one else has it and no fish are acting strangely, everyone's eating and swimming normal. What could be wrong?? I read water parameters which is possible since I used approx 20 gals of old water but 55 gals of new water (kept old filter), also note that this particular fish was very stressed out during the move but seemily made a full recovery from that. Ill get the water checked later today but if its not that than what? And isnt it weird that only one fish (one of the biggest fish also) has this?

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Had that on a pearl grouami we picked up at the LFS. Both eyes were "cloudy", but no other discernable behaviour. I upped the volume and frequency of the water changes for a couple weeks and it cleared up just fine.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I have a rosy tetra with the same thing, I believe it's a cataract, just like in people. The fish will be just fine, just looks kinda funny. They can swim and eat and such just fine, I honestly believe this is what is going on with your fishy. Hope this was helpful!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I thought about that possibility as well but its a young fish (at most 9 months or so) and its not inside the eye its on top of it like I can see it extended when he swims the right way. Im getting water parameters now if its not that its likely a fungus I think

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/eyes.html

Idk if this is reliable or not but the very first thing describes what he has the best I believe.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So I bought a fungal medication that I have used before with great success, I used 1 tab per 10gl of water (actually used 8 tabs since its a 75 so a little over) and the water is the green color it should be. However I am on day 2 out of 4 before putting my carbon back into the tank and the eye has not gotten any better... No other fish have any signs of disease, everyone is eating and swimming normally (including the fish with the bad eye) and the water parameters are perfect. The water is kept at 80 deg, prime coat was added, I use aquarium salt as directed (normally not using for treatment). Any ideas??? They eye doesnt appear to be worse but I cant really tell, its certainly not any better. When the fish swims so that its eyes are on the side of his head you can see w/e this is protruding off the eye and its white and fuzzy so I thought fungus, and maybe after the 4 day treatment it will be gone? Its not a big spot, doesnt even cover his whole pupil but there is something there. It is entirely possible that he hurt his eye during the move, he was very hard to catch and rammed himself frequently into the glass and other decorations and naturally he was very stressed (lost all his color stayed pressed up against the side of the bucket while he was in it etc). If it was just damaged I wouldnt expect to see a whitish protrusion from the center of his eye but if anyone thinks differently please let me know... So he was susceptible to an infection of any sort from all the stress and I just want to figure out what it is and get him better! (also note I cant do water changes until this medication is done or it will dilute it and I dont have more. on the 4th day I will be doing a 25% WC every other day but for now the medicine cant be removed or the whole process was a waste)

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
It's common for some kind of mechanical injury to develop fungus. Just continue the treatment, it probably takes a few days to clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store