new/used tank - cleaning out left over water/chlorine scum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
Hi there! Just got my first tank and it's a 125 gal! Previous owner had a turtle in it and filled it with a 10% bleach solution before he sold it to me to eliminate any pathogens that might pass from turtles to fish. Right now the tank is empty and has a thin whitish scum on it's sides and more on it's bottom that tends to rub off with a finger swipe.

I'm not sure what this is but I need to get it out of there before I fill it for fish. Assuming it may be some chlorine what cleaner should I use to clean it? Guy that sold it to me said not to use any hard core household cleaners, so I'm not sure where I should start.

I'm all ears. Thanks!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I clean all my tanks with white vinegar. Then rinse it out. Let it air dry...good to go.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Is there still a chlorine smell? If not, I consider it safe although you can rinse/soak with some non-dechlorinated water if it puts your mind at ease.

Most likely what you are seeing is hard water build up. Vinegar, as previously mentioned, will do the trick.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Whenever I use bleach, before the final fill, I always soak with prime for at least 24 hours....

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
From the looks of all the inputs I've gotten here and other places, it looks like I should possibly razor the scum off first, and then I should scrub down the tank using specifically white vinegar (and not cider vinegar) using either a green scrubbie or a soft cloth. I'm left wondering if the green scrubbie I've read mentioned is the 3M type that's part of the one piece yellow sponge / green scrub cleaning tool. If you were doing this to your own glass tank, what scrub implement would you advise?

And then after the scrubbing I should fill with a triple dose of Prime dechlorinator and let sit for a day, and then rinse very well and then let air dry for two days.

All this seem straight forward and logical to me. If you might see anything that could be added to this protocol please let me know and I'll do it.

Last thing is that a couple folks have asked me if I've read about cycling your tank. I haven't, but I'd like to read anything I can on it. If anyone can point me in the right direction on reading about cycling I'd be happy to look at anything I can on it.

Thanks

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
If you are going to go with freshwater read this thread.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?84598-Freshwater-cycling

If salt read this one.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?91273-Cycling-Methods-amp-Procedures

Read as much as you can. While you are cycling your tank you will have time to research, ask questions and decide what fish you will get.

Please do a fishless cycle and do not get impatient. Please research and make sure you don't buy fish on impulse. Just because they all live in water doesn't mean they can all go in the same tank.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
:iagree::iagree: BUT....there is a newish product out by Seachem called Stability, I know, I know, I was skeptical at first also, until I read a 30pg thread on it on MFK. It does work, I've cycled 4 tanks with it so far (the first being my 125g), no losses. If you use it, remember to shake the bottle until the liquid is cloudy white. For 10$ a bottle, it's well worth it.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
:iagree::iagree: BUT....there is a newish product out by Seachem called Stability, I know, I know, I was skeptical at first also, until I read a 30pg thread on it on MFK. It does work, I've cycled 4 tanks with it so far (the first being my 125g), no losses. If you use it, remember to shake the bottle until the liquid is cloudy white. For 10$ a bottle, it's well worth it.
I have read numerous threads about the "instant cycle" products and "how great they are" and "it reduced my cycle down to one week". I am not trying to be argumentative here but, the longest cycle I have had out of my 2 SW tanks is 10 days. (It might have only been a week but didn't test params for a couple of days).

I just can't understand spending money unnecessarily. If I can do an initial cycle in 1 week why buy a product to help my cycle take 1 week?

That said, I do intend to run a side by side comparison with some of these products with a control of a tank the way I normally cycle for a project I am working on. Until then, I don't see the real value as personal experience has shown rather short cycle time periods anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store