if I move them, will they get ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
my 29g is now 100% free of ich! I lost a few of the tetras, but I think that may have been partly because my angel thought they were tasty and was constantly nipping and chasing them at feeding time.

anyways, I have a 40g setup upstairs which has some driftwood in it that was in the 29g for about 2/3 of the ich treatment at 3% salt and mid 80's F. its been up there without fish for around 5 days, I think.

I'd like to move my fish in the 29g upstairs to the 40g along with their filter and all the remaining plants in the 40g. I just want to be sure that I dont end up with ich again, 'cause I'm there may be some that has just been released from the form tat adheres to hard surfaces.

the temp in the 40g with the driftwood/java ferns hasnt gotten much below 75 (though it has been down to around 73), and for a few days it was 80-82. usually its closer to like 76, 77, though.

help?

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I dont have a few months to let this tank fallow either way; if I dont move the fish in now, it'll have fish as soon as the fishless cycle is over.

I should add that since I set the tank up, I have done a nearly 100% water change. not sure that that would make a difference.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
would a handful of the old tank gravel and half a handful of that aquaclear biomedia stuff from the cycled filter be enough to support a few fish, do you think? I could move my three cherry barbs up there; they seemed to be the most succeptable to ich, and its easy to see the cysts on them, as well. I also have a male platy who I could use as a guinea pig.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
so i think I'm going to keep doing water changes on the 40 until the dust from the sand has been removed completely, and then move my male platy over with a cupful of gravel and some of the filter media from the 29, and the remainder of the plants from the 29 (or at least most of them). I'll give him a week in the tank, if I dont see any issues, I'll probably move my filter over and move the remainder of the fish I plan to keep in (3 cherry barbs, 2 harlequin rasboras, a bolivian ram). then I just want to get a QT tank setup, and get the 29g re-cycled for the fish I have waiting to go in there.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
ok so I was wrong on when I set the tank up- it's been at least 7 days, possibly almost 2 weeks. it was in the tank with salt treatment for around 3-4 days.

my angel is getting nippy in the 29, and I'd really like to get them in a bigger tank ASAP- should I just risk it???

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
k, I'm gonna do it. crossing my fingers; I just really dont want to have to deal with ich again, but I think they really need more room!

I'm going to do a small water change on the 40, move the plants up, and then get all the fishies acclimated and into their new home!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store