Power Outage planning advise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reichiere

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
I've just found my power company is killing our power this Friday and next from 11pm to 6am. I wasn't to worried about the fish (worried more about the reptiles) but I did some reading and now I am.

Thankfully I'm down to one (fish) tank at the moment.

It's a 55 gallon with a Rena XP2 canister and a 10 gallon HOB filter.
Current Residents:
1 - Betta
20ish - Neon Tetras
2 - Adult BN plecos
~10 - BN pleco babies (just found them last week! very surprised!)
2 - Nerite Snails
~5 - Cherry Shrimp
Tons of common/pond snails

It's also a planted tank sorta....
Small leafy plants (unknown)
hornwort
java moss
moss ball
And some hair algea (I think!)

I'm not worried about the light because I don't have it on normally then.

I'm not worried about heat because we have a wood stove that is our only source of heat in the house so if it's cold we can warm it up pretty quickly.

Is my tank going to be okay with out me touching it all night? Or should I plan to wake up and work with it a couple times during the night?

I'm going to try to get some of those battery powered air bubblers thingies if I can find some locally. If I do that will the tank be okay over night?

I think my biggest worry is the canister filter. The HOB I can toss the media into the tank, but I rather not do that with the canister filter. (I can but it will be a pain with all the little rings and stars) I did some searching and read somehwere that said to manually force water through it now and then and it will be okay?

Now I'm thinking that once they kill the power I'm unplugging the filters so they don't start up randomly and suck up the baby plecos (almost lost one during a water change last week that way) and I can control when they come back up. And to avoid power surges.

*edit - Oh and I was planning to do a water change the night before each power outage. And I have somewhere I can take the fish if the power does not come back up. But that's only if the electric company screws something up and I wont have power for a long period of time.

TLDNR;
Power going out for 7 hours. 55 gallon tank. What to do?! Help!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i also wouldn't be worried. your stock list is light in that tank. do a water change at supper time each night the power is scheduled to be out, and adjust your filter output to agitate the water surface as much as possible after the water change. this will push as much oxygen into the water as possible before the power outage. use water that is a couple degrees warmer (but not more than that) for your water change, and that will help to keep the tank warm some. i would say a 50% water change would be plenty good enough.

the canister filter media/bacteria will be fine. the bacteria don't die off immediately, it takes a little while. in the morning, before starting up your filter again, maybe give the media a light rinse just to ensure any bacteria that didn't survive (this should be minimal) are not in the filter to create an ammonia spike.

my tanks had to be turned off for quite a few hours just shy of a year ago for pest control in my apartment. the tanks had to be wrapped up tight with thick garbage bags and taped - sealed shut! my oscar and paratilapia polleni (both big fish) fared fine, and those were the two i was worried most about - big fish need big oxygen.

reichiere

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks!

I wasn't too worried, but then I got reading some older threads on here and there was a post and someone was all "YOUR FILTER WILL DIIEEEE" and such. And that was something I hadn't even considered during this outage. I also knew with my bioload being low, the tank being just small fishies, and not too senstive to changes fishies, that everything will be okay!

Thanks again

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I wouldn't be too worried although there are battery operated air pumps available if you want to have one in the future for more extensive power outages. Just keep an eye on things IMO to make absolutely sure you don't run into any param spikes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store