Spare 20 gallon high... what to do with it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishesRWishes

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Suggestions, please?

I was thinking of dividing it up and having 4 or 5 sections with a betta in each section.

Or perhaps spliting it into two and having two ten gallons, each with a betta + something else.

Or may 3 sections - one 10g section with a sorority and two 5g sections with male bettas in each?

Or maybe something else entirely? I have a bunch of bricks that would be aquarium safe and I was thinking of using them somehow... I already have my peaceful community tank which I adore, so would like something a bit different.

Thoughts, opinions and ideas please!

ETA: And I am a student, so it needs to be cost effective!

Last edited:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Sell it to me :)

But really, 15 for sorority and 5 for a lone male.

Or a community tank, black skirt tetras or serpae tetras would do well in such a tank. Maybe some bottom fish (corys) and a few top fish (a gouramis). Boom, nice little community tank.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
i have two peaceful community tanks and both are equally entertaining. But if you want something entirely different, you could go dwarf cichlids of some sort. Shrimp tank with female bettas. There are many possibiliites.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i say BFM is a genius!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I don't think you need to keep it empty for a hospital/QT; a 10g is $13 at most big bx stores (petco, etc) if you need it.

IMO I would never do a sorority in anything with a small footprint than a 10g. a 20 high split in half won't have enough room for the girls to get away from eachother, IMO.

I think splitting it into 4 6" sections would be acceptable, might be a little weird looking being the tank is so high, though.

you could do a sorority of 6-10 girls in the 20, though, IMO.

or gouramis or dwarf cichlids- they're always fun.

FishesRWishes

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
20g is too big for a QT tank imo. I've used it before, when I didn't have another option. It was very expensive to medicate all that water.

I'd love to know more about dwarf cichlids - I believe my water is well suited to them.

I also had, at one point considered doing a coldwater tank with white clouds and... Something else. I'm still open to this idea - suggestions?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
allaboutfish, both those species are NOT cold water fish. the OP was asking specifically about what they could add to the white clouds in a coldwater tank.

i still think the 20 should be a qt/hospital. if you are concerned with spending too much money on meds with that size tank, use a sponge filter with the lift tube cut down, and only fill the tank half way. tada! 10 gallon. if you have a sick fish in the middle of the night, it's not exactly easy to run out to the store for a new hospital tank......

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i mustve read it wrong i thought he was asking for more suggestions on fish, plus he mentioned dwarf cichlids. also i dont think he should use the tank as a quarentine. 10 gallons are so cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store