Was watching Survivor last night and....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
realized how much we are getting SCREWED on live rock. There is such an incredible amount of coral in the world.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
There is coral out there but we need to start reversing some of the damage we've done. Collection methods are getting better due to public knowledge within the hobby and aquaculture/mariculture is helping a great deal too. I'm not crazy about "named" or LE corals because the prices sometime get out of hand but it has definitely helped stear hobbyists to AC/MC. Hopefully some of the crazy prices will drop and that furthers that push.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/conservation/news-ecosystems-most-risk

So how much of the coral reefs are we aware of already being affected?
How much of the coral do you think has been lost? 10%? 30%? In fact the numbers of bleached and dead coral reefs is double that, with some 60% of Caribbean reefs being affected.
Current estimates also show that 10% of all coral reefs are degraded beyond recovery and that 30% are in critical condition and could die within 10 to 20 years. Surely this should be an a sign that we must protect the endangered coral we have left?

Edit: On another note I saw an episode of Mutant Planet the other night. Show was on African rift lake cichlids in Lake Tanganyika & Malawi. I have a whole new respect for african cichlids now. That is a crazy environment !!!

Last edited:

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
As a consumer I would love to get LR cheap as possible. But I dont think by any means is there some huge abundance of the stuff out there. As Greech already posted, there's been extensive and severe damage done to the world's reefs because of us-not really aquarists, but humans in general.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
We're getting screwed? I'm going to play a coral reef for a moment here:

"Harvested some LR? SOME? I've got nothin left ter give!" *dies*

So, as you can see, we're the ones doing to screwing. Course, I don't buy LR anymore (have plenty) so I'm biased toward the reefs by default :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store