I need advice for setting up a sick/quarantine tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cupcake76

AC Members
Oct 15, 2011
omaha
I have a 10 gallon that I was using for my guppies before I moved them into my community tank. It has an underground filter, an over the back filter, light, heater, gravel, and an airstone. There are no fish in there, but I left it running.
Can I use this for a quarantine tank and/or a sick tank since I don't plan on getting any new fish for awhile?
Is there anything special I need to do to keep it healthy? Is there a better way to do it? Do I need to put a fish in there to keep it going?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
put the HOB filter on your community and then drain the tank, and whenever you need it take that filter off the community and put it on the 10 gallon with dechlorinated water.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
many of us will keep a QT/Hospital tank set aside.. I personally run sponges in other established healthy tanks and use the sponges as media starts for the QT.
if you plan on medicating in a Hospital tank they daily water changes may be in order as many meds will kill off the bacteria cultures in the sponges,
after treatment you may wan to add the media and qt the infected fish until they are health.. at this point the tank is treated as a std Qt .

sinner41265

AC Members
Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
Real Name
Barry
If you're going to use it as a hospital/QT tank, I would remove the gravel and UG filter. That will make it easier to vacuum out all the debris. Also remove the charcoal (if you're using any) if using as a hospital tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store