do I need to re-cycle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I moved most of my fish and the filter from my 29g to by new 40; all that remains in the 29 are two gold pristella tetras. I have a dwarf cory, two ghost shrimp, and a honey gourami all in another tank and I would very much like to move them into the 29 with the tetras eventually.

the tank has been setup about three months with a deep bed of eco complete, and the fish I want to add wont be much in the way of bioload; I was thinking I would let the tank sit with the pristellas for a few days (have to do some big water changes to get salt out of the 29) to a week, then move the others over from my 10g.

will this cause the tank to re-cycle, or will there be enough beneficial bacteria in the gravel of the 29 that I wont have to worry?

I have some cycled or mostly cycled media in the 10 that I could move over, as well. I'm not 100% sure how cycled it is because the plants in that tank use up a lot of the ammonia, etc, I think. the plants will be moved over, as well, by the way.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Without a filter and with such a low bioload I'd be hesitant to think that you would be considered fully cycled. You might have some to "seed" the tank with...are you still seeing an increase in nitrate over time?

To be safe I would plan on transferring some media. Probably would give a bigger boost compared to anything still in the substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store