How?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Just idle curiosity. I always hear about people who get ferts and feeding and root tabs and CO2 injections and all that stuff for their plants. I've never once done any of that, and yet the swords, mystery plant, and java moss that I have has never shown any illness or unhealthiness when under a good light. Any ideas on how that's possible?

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Because all those plants grow in low light. Not to mention if your tank has been around a while you probably don't need root tabs because all the poop and uneatin food and stuff gets used as nutrition for the root feeders. Most root feeders will grow just fine without tab, but say they grow about a leaf a week, if you add root tabs they might do 3-4 a week.

High light with CO2 is typically for nicely colored stem plants, the reds and purples that are hard to grow.

Adding nutrients to the water column is only useful in those plants that take it from the water column like stem plants.

It is important to know how your plants feed. My wifes step Mom was having a problem with algae in her tank where she had high light, CO2, and ferts. Yet all the plants were swords and crypts all root feeders. I told her to stop doing ferts because none of those plants are likely taking in any of it. She did and her algae problem started going away.

Don't just throw stuff at your tank unless it needs it.

My low light tank I don't have CO2 but I use root tabs and nutrients, but I have ludwigia repens and rotala indica so I keep the ferts up for them and I use root tabs in all the crypts and vals. But they have grown fine without them in the past.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Because all those plants grow in low light. Not to mention if your tank has been around a while you probably don't need root tabs because all the poop and uneatin food and stuff gets used as nutrition for the root feeders. Most root feeders will grow just fine without tab, but say they grow about a leaf a week, if you add root tabs they might do 3-4 a week.

Don't just throw stuff at your tank unless it needs it.

My low light tank I don't have CO2 but I use root tabs and nutrients, but I have ludwigia repens and rotala indica so I keep the ferts up for them and I use root tabs in all the crypts and vals. But they have grown fine without them in the past.
Hey, I'm fine with them as is. No money for ferts anyway, it's not in my budget. The mystery plant is a type of ludwigia, but never got a single fert. I'm fine with my plants growing nice and slow, I like them better that way.

Growth rates probably are comparatively slower, although that can be better as it is much easier to manage.
Yea, I just put them in the tank, with a pair of male mollies, and a massive number of snails. Haven't touched it since. Oh, has a powerhead and what I would say is high lighting.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store