How to remove paint from old rusty iron/steel stand? DIY

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
So, I've finally got time to do this, but have no idea how :shakehead:

The iron is my 75gal stand. I got it used and it's got a number of rust patches on it, which I want to remove. Now, I need to get ALL the paint off, then repaint it. I plan to spray paint it black again.

The issue? I've never removed paint from anything before, so I don't know how to do it. My mom was going to show me how, but she's always busy, so I'm asking here. Anyone know how I can do it myself?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Naval Jelly, wire brush, elbow grease. Naval Jelly is a pink goop that you slather on and let set for a bit. Wipe off and then rinse. If the rust is thick you'll need to wire brush first. Wire wheel on a drill is also good like Squid said and then you can use the Naval Jelly to get in the hard to reach spots the wheel can't get.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Zip Strip the old paint off and then wire wheel away the rust before repainting.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Don't obsess over getting evry last bit of paint off. Do the best you reasonably can & spray paint. It'll need it again in a few years but it will not matter whatever your method.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I can only add that I use a rust converter undercoat which converts any fine or missed rust to a safe material. Then I top coat with a quality ($5.00 a can, not $1.50) spray paint. For best long term results, you really can't beat the old fashioned brush on Rustoleum on top of Rustoleum primer.

Alasse

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
QLD, Australia
Real Name
Rebecca
I not long did up my metal stand. I used a wire brush on a drill to get off what i could, then hit it with a rust killer undercoat and then sprayed it black, came up a treat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store