*PICS* of the canopy I built to go with the stand I built

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
Here is the canopy - the front is on the left in the picture. The corner pieces in the top will be the stops for the slatted top in the next picture. I will either just let it lay there or I might put hinges on it. I am leaning towards hinges. Contruction is dado's, rabbit's, glue and 1" brads to pin it all together with an air-nailer.

Here is the top - I built slats into the top for heat evacuation. It will sit in the previous picture in the recess in the top. Construction is all glue and biscuits.

Here is a closeup of the ledge I built to put the light on (the lower ledge).

Here is a picture on the tank. You can see why I built the corner braces like I did. The glass top for this tank needs a lot of height to open. I used what I had in the woodpile and did not have enough pieces to make the top high enough to open without the break in the edge braces.

Same with the top opened. The undergravel in the background is the one you guys browbeat me into not using.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Wow excellent job. Im looking to build one for my 92 gal corner tank. Im not entirely sure how im gonna go about it since it has the curve in the front

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Man I wish I had a DIY bine in my body! Really nice. Are you planning on using the glass top?

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
I do plan on using the glass top. I really don't want salt everywhere. This is in my office right next to the wall.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Impressive. Can you make a DIY 125 gallon SW tank for me? :D

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
Impressive. Can you make a DIY 125 gallon SW tank for me? :D
I can make the stand and hood for it, but I don't think you would trust my glass sealing abilities! I could make a pretty sweet setup out of birdseye maple with cherry inlay (or vica versa).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store