I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO ADD PICS!!! :D I need names!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
My new fishy!!!

1021111856.jpg1021111854b.jpg1021111855b.jpg1021111855a.jpg

Yesterday I picked up a complete 55 gallon set up for only $90! It has everything, stand, nice biowheel filter, decor, gravel, lights, stand, etc. :) Which meant then of course, I had to make a trip back to petco to go get someone ^^^ (as you can see above!) (I was proud of myself, I waited til I had the tank she could go in after QT BEFORE I got her, which took lots of self control)

So that is my beautiful new girl! (well to me she is, is there any easy way to sex them?) And already I am so in love with her! She is so smart, she figured out right away that the bloodworms came from the turkey bastor, so she put her mouth right in front of the end so they would just fall in! She already seems to know me from my boyfriend, or at least, in my opinion does. I went to go say hi to her (and I literally did, I went over and talked to her for like 5 min in a baby voice.. :perv:) and she didn't shy away too much, but then when my boyfriend went over she swam away into her cave. Already she's mommys little girl ;) <3

She has such an awesome personality as well, I can't get over how amazing she is! :D

Now that I am done rambling ;) a few questions.

1) NAMES I have no idea what on earth to name her, any ideas? (And just for the record, my fish get human-like names, or names from people from movies/books, or food/desserts not like Sparkle or Spike or something :)

2) How long should I keep her in QT? (It's a 10 gallon, and probably the worst QT tank ever, it has a few live plants, gravel (in an awful color, that was NOT my choosing) and a little anubias tied to driftwood, but she HATED the plastic plants, she wouldn't go near them, she loves the live plants though..already I am spoiling her.. but if she does get sick or something, then I will trash the plants) I have 2 small whisper tetra power filters on there, and I am going to do 1-2 gallon water changes each day. I was thinking a month, but I don't want to stunt her.

3) Given that I am using the 1/2 the biowheel and cartridges on my new tank from my established tank, do I have to cycle the new tank then? I haven't set it up yet, I have to move the tv, but I am going to on Monday after I get sand. I am just using playsand, then I'll move over some live plants from my other 55 gallon and some driftwood as well :)

4) Given her mouth (which makes me sad, but I figure she is at least not in pain, and doesn't know any different) I know it's hard for her to eat. I was previously planning on moving my 3 blue gouramis to the 55 with my new parrot, but now I don't want to because I don't want her have to deal with competing with those 3, they are on food FAST. I am thinking about instead moving my 2 gold gouramis, they too are slower and have an issue competing for food with the blues. So here is my new stocking plan, how does it sound?
-1 absolutely wonderful blood parrot cichlid
-2 gold gouramis
-1 rainbow shark
-6 syno petricola

5) I wanted to add perhaps a school or something of another fish, but I don't want anyone who is really fast at eating food and gobbles it up before the fish next to them gets a chance like my tetras and danios, any ideas on what would work well with those guys? Preferably mid/top water, since the shark, synos, are bottom, and parrot for time being is bottom.

6) For the current 55 gallon, after moving those kids out the stocking would be this
-3 3-spot gouramis
-3 kuhli loaches
-2 male guppies
-6 blue tetras
-4 harlequin rasboras
-5 cories
-6 glofish
-1 LF BN pleco
-1 ADF

Is that a good stocking? (This is of course if the gouramis get along down the road)

Thanks so much guys!!

1021111856.jpg 1021111855b.jpg 1021111854b.jpg 1021111855a.jpg

Last edited:

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i know you like 'human' names, but i think pumpkin would be such a good name for her.bc they look like punpkins and each one is unique.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Lol I actually had a cat named "Punkin" :)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Is the 90gal empty? If so you *could* QT her in there, but if she gets sick that would be a massive amount of meds. I recommend a month long QT despite possible stunting, because if she/he is sick it won't end well for any other fish she/he's with.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You should move that ADF out of your 55 when you get the chance, they are a PAIN to feed in that deep of a tank.

Aside from that I can't help you on anything else, good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store