male auratus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

freddy5

AC Members
Apr 10, 2011
Creston British Columbia
Real Name
Darryl Frederick
Ok,I was given a female and male auratus,fairly large,the male is so cool looking,I love the darker colouration,but here is the deal,he always eats like a pig,then he quit eating and behold he was carrying a whole mouth of eggs,did this for a week then ate them,now I read only females are supposed to carry the eggs,do I have a female masked as a male?

freddy5

AC Members
Apr 10, 2011
Creston British Columbia
Real Name
Darryl Frederick
I just read that the male looking one the darker one could be a dominant female,and the yellow a male keeping the female colours to keep a low profile,these fish are cool,but very confusing

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Probably just weird fish because the M. Auratus or M. Chipokae both species are similar but both species is the females are yellow and the males are blue black and that changing color could play a role but not often..

freddy5

AC Members
Apr 10, 2011
Creston British Columbia
Real Name
Darryl Frederick
thanks for the replies,the lady I got them from said that the dark one was the female,and the yellow a male,when I got them from her I also got a bag full of babies from her,but when I read up on the auratus,it said that the dark was the male,guess she was right.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If you only have a pair, the dark one is the male and the yellow one is the female. A male only gets the lighter female coloration if there is another male(s) present. I suppose that the yellow female is the one that is holding eggs now. Do not get confused!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store