Another problem... fish "itching"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Hey so I just had my madagascar rainbowfish die today from as far as i can tell a parasite... all of the other fish seemed fine however I am noticing a few fish (particularly my balloon belly mollies) rubbing up against decorations and I saw one do it one time on the gravel... cant see anything like ich but other parasites are a possibility. Does anyone know what it may be and potential solutions? I think I will turn my heater up to 85 or so tonight jic...

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I am going to have my water re-tested tomorrow but I had it tested about 4 days ago and it was perfect. The temp is at 80deg always, the water currently has anti-fungal medication in it but my carbon is back in my filter now (its day 4). The trouble all started when I moved my entire tank from a 55 to a 75, put alot of stress on the fishes. Then after a few days and all was well I added a two new julii cories.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
My fish will flash sometimes after a water change with no long term problems.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I just put some new water in tonight (very very small water change tho like 5 gallons out of 75). I just went and watched the fish for 20 mins and I didnt see any flashing... but noticed another thing my female balloon belly (who is otherwise acting normally, eating swimming etc) would point her head up and swim in place vertically for idk 10 seconds or so and I saw her do it twice. She is also trying to poop right how but its a weird like clear mucus with small spots of poop like its sectioned poop. part of it looks normal and the mucus is obvi not normal but she is still like excited when I walk over even when I leaned forward to see closer they all got excited and came to the glass... opinions?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Just did an additional 10 gallon water change. I wonder, could it be due to the new water (of a somewhat different temperature I am sure) being poured directly onto them? since they all flock to the surface of the tank when I pour water in I pour it onto them and it pushes them around and I notice for w/e reason my BB mollies are almost always the ones being hit by the water. Just a thought since Big mike said his do it after water change and I have been watching them now and havnt seen it since. I am just paranoid because I JUST had a fish die today from something and want to make sure none of my other finned friends die! Any other input is much appreciated. Tomorrow Im gonna get my water tested again

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Water change temperature doesn't matter IMO I do straight cold water, as do many others here, with no adverse effects. Where was your water tested? Did they tell you the nitrIte, nitrAte and ammonia levels of the tank or did they just say it was "perfect"?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I get my water tested at pet supermarket and they show me the results, I talk alot with the guy who works there about my tank and fish keeping. I normally wouldnt bother but he actually owns a few large aquariums himself so he is helpful. Ammonia was at 0, ph was around 7.5, nitrite zero, and nitrate was within acceptable parameter I dont remember exactly

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Yes and I had the same concern before moving tanks (post about it) and is concerning me now even though it read fine. I used the same filter media (all 4 cartridges) I used all of my gravel from the 55 which was straight out of the water so never dried, same plants, same everything just in a new glass shell. I even used around 25 gallons of the water from my old tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store