Cycling my 55 gallon tank, via "cloning"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Hi everyone,

So tomorrow after my chem lab, I'm planning to set up my 55 gallon tank for my blood parrot.

A few questions, if you can answer ALL wonderful, but if only one or two, that's good as well!!

1. My 55 gallon came with a marineland biowheel 350 and on my running 55 gallon I have a marineland biowheel 400, can I just switch out half the media on the filter with the new one? (so 1 biowheel, 1 filter cartridge thing)

2. If I can trade 1/2 old for half new, will the tank be already cycled, or will it still have to cycle? (I am using new playsand I just bought-same stuff as in the current 55 gallon, so I know it's safe, along with moving some driftwood and live plants from my current 55)

3. Should I put the 2 mini whisper filters currently on my 10 gallon on the new 55 gallon to help with cycling?

She is still in her 10 gallon QT tank, no signs of illness (got her Friday)

4. Should I really QT her for the entire month recommended? (I'm worried about stunting her. And given the fact that the 10 gallon is where I am putting the 55 gallon, I really would like to avoid having to set up the 10 gallon after spending forever on the 55 gallon, given I won't get home til 9pm. And she will be going into her own 55 gallon, no other fish, though I want to add my 2 gold female gouramis, rainbow shark, and baby synos to the 55 gallon with her soon as well)

5. So could I just continue QT in the 55 gallon instead of the 10 gallon?

Thanks!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
for the bio load you're talking about I would think you would be fine. How long has she been in qt and have there been any signs of something being weong? I would go with your gut, but it is easier to treat a 10 g than a 55 g. ymmv
linda

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
As mentioned it would be easier to treat a smaller volume but hopefully you don't run into problems anyways. Totally up to you.

You can definitely seed a tank using colonized filter media. Sometimes you will experience a mini cycle, but not always, especially at smaller bio loads. Just keep an eye on params. The more established media you add to the tank, the better. However, also consider that taking some out of the other tank could also have an impact on that tank as well so monitor both if you go that route.

The nitrifying bacteria multiply quickly and that means once they reach a good population they can make up the differences quicker. Again, hopefully you have no issues.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
for the bio load you're talking about I would think you would be fine. How long has she been in qt and have there been any signs of something being weong? I would go with your gut, but it is easier to treat a 10 g than a 55 g. ymmv
linda
Well I got her Friday, so I have had her for 4 days now. She is doing really well, such a little piggy! I can't get over how smart and social she is with me! She isn't afraid of the turkey bastor, and knows her blood worms/brine shrimp come from there, so she will stick her little mouth right on the end and just have the food swallow into her mouth. No signs of fungus, ich, anything at all wrong. I did a 40% water change Friday, didn't do one Sat, but just did a 60% water change. I just tested the water today and the nitrite was 0ppm, the nitrate 40ppm, and Ammonia .40ppm. After the water change, the params are now nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 25 ppm, and ammonia .15 ppm. I'll do another 60% water change tomorrow to lower the ammonia and nitrates more (my nitrates are really high normally it seems, even my 29 gallon with only a male betta had nitrates of 40ppm before the water change, my tap water is 0 nitrates).

So far my gut is saying yes, she is fine, but it is way easier to treat a 10 gallon and cheaper, then 55 gallon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
As mentioned it would be easier to treat a smaller volume but hopefully you don't run into problems anyways. Totally up to you.

You can definitely seed a tank using colonized filter media. Sometimes you will experience a mini cycle, but not always, especially at smaller bio loads. Just keep an eye on params. The more established media you add to the tank, the better. However, also consider that taking some out of the other tank could also have an impact on that tank as well so monitor both if you go that route.

The nitrifying bacteria multiply quickly and that means once they reach a good population they can make up the differences quicker. Again, hopefully you have no issues.
Okay good to here, I'll be sure to monitor both tanks after removing half the media of course and test the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites daily until things are at good levels consistently. Fingers crossed for no problems, but so far given the fact my petco fish is healthy, things are looking up! Knock on wood! :)

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David

+1

Aside from it being easier to treat 10 than 55, will it be the only animal in the 55? If no then continue with QT.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
One month in a 10g qt tank is not going to stunt the fish. My jag was in a 20g from the time I got him (about 1/2") until I moved (4"+). He was in there about 5 months and is not stunted.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
+1

Aside from it being easier to treat 10 than 55, will it be the only animal in the 55? If no then continue with QT.
Ya, for now my other fish can stay where they are, so she can just have a huge 55 gallon all to herself for a few weeks then! I'm going to do the move on Wed, way too much work/homework tonight and tomorrow! I figure then she will be for QT in the 10 gallon for about a week at least, and the likely hood of her suddenly getting sick seems low after a week of no signs. But she'll be the only fish in there for 3 more weeks though :)

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Are you planning on QTing the other stock? Kind of a rhetoric question because the answer should be "yes" ;)
Well the fish that are in my sig, in my current running 55 gallon, are the only fish I was planning on adding with her (for at least awhile). Given they are all healthy and happy, I don't think I'll QT my current fish ;)

As for the 10 gallon current QT/Hospital tank, this is what's happening. I got TWO 10 gallons off of craigslist, one is set as my QT/H tank, the other is empty on my table. What I plan to do is once I get my blood parrot in the 55 gallon, give my little sister the QT/H tank she was in and make it a betta tank. Then take the 10 gallon on my table, and set it up as a true QT/H tank with no gravel, live plants, or driftwood :)

So then she'll have a nice betta tank, and I'll have a nice QT tank :)

Then shall I get future fish, then I can QT them :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store