Blue Ram Questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boyohboy

AC Members
Jan 28, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
Hi, my LFS has some Blue Ram for sale and I'm thinking about getting 1 or 2 of them. I have some questions, hoping someone would have some experience with them...

1) Compatability... are Blue Ram ok with small tetra, cory?

2) How big do they get? Some sites say 3", but from your experience? Grow fast?

3) Where do the Blue Ram swim in the tank, top, mid, bottom? (I have a fairly well planted tank)

4) I noticed some sites saying German blue ram is better than Asian blue ram... is it really so? and how to tell the difference if at all?

5) Any experience with just keeping 1 (or 2) male blue ram? Will there be any problem or is male/female pair the only way to go?

Thanks alot :)

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
Hi boyohboy,

Funny, I was just at the LFS today asking the resident expert (who I trust very much) about ram compatibility. Here are the answers I got:

1. Compatibility: Blue Rams are OK with small tetra and cories -- in fact, that is the exact species mix I was asking about, too.

2. Size: 3 inches is about right.

3. Swimming region: Rams swim in the middle of tank.

I don't know about Asian vs. "German" or the sex issue, sorry. What the fellow told me did wash with what I've read in books, however.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
They are best kept in m/f pairs. You might be able to get away with two males together, but two females will constantly bicker.

Rams generally don't usually get much larger than 2'' due to extensive breeding (the exception being wild-caught fish).

They great with other small, non-cichlid tank mates such as the ones you mentioned.

Finally, European rams are generally stronger and prettier because they aren't as mass produced. Asian rams can be finicky about water conditions and some die without and visible signs of disease.

HTH

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
You might do a search on this site for Blue Rams & sexing. I think the females have spots in the dark black spot on their sides and there is a diff in their fins. I can't remember so do a search.....

177ichael

AC Members
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
I added two female German Blue Rams to my tank a few weeks back with little color. I then added a male to the tank and the females colored up wonderfully. I've read that rams get brighter with age and at around 11 months they are at peak brightness. I have various other fish in my community tank including 8 cardinal tetras, 2 angels, and a gourami. My tank is 36 gallons with no problems. I've heard that rams can have problems with cories because they do tend to swim at the bottom of the tank quite a bit. I have 3 Otos in my tank as well and have never had issues with my rams and Otos. The Rams tend to bicker amongst one another. Occasionally, my Gourami will dart at the dominant female ram in the tank, but only if I throw in some tubifex worms and they are fighting for food. Overall, my rams tend to stay towards the middle of the tank and love to dart around the bushes. They are fascinating fish.

fishdude

so i says to the guy....
Jun 11, 2003
winchester VA
Visit site
sry if somone said this but the easy way to tell rams apart is the male has an extended dorsal ray and the females is shortened

[edit]- havin a female and a male will be perfect especially if u buy them young because then u can provide better for them and feed them better food then most LFS's can

good luck from the local ram nutcase!

Last edited:

boyohboy

AC Members
Jan 28, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by fishdude
sry if somone said this but the easy way to tell rams apart is the male has an extended dorsal ray and the females is shortened
Thanks all for the input. I've got my pair of BlueRam already :D
Tho I'm still abit worry if my pair is infact male/female pair.

I've read about the dorsal ray thing, but I just couldn't figure it out looking at the fish. "dorsal" is the back and "ray" is one of those fin-supporting soft-bone or whatever structure, correct? I just can't seem to tell if anyof them is extended (or shortened).. just all look the same to me :eek:
Guess I should post pic of mine later...

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
IMO they both look like males. The thing about the fins is this: The dorsal is the fin that runs along the back of the fish. Many fish have 2 distinct dorsal fins, others have only 1 (like the blue ram), or maybe it's 2 connected, not sure. On blue rams, the trailing end of the dorsal fin is pointed on males and rounded on females. This is why I believe both of yours are males. I've also heard that the black stripe on the front of the dorsal is darker on males. Hope this helps.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
The top one, I think, is a female. The pink belly and blue speckles in the black dot (males will have speckles around the dot but not in) are usually reliable indicators. The other one might be a male.

meangene does have a good point about the fins, but, as you can see in the picture, both males and females can also have rounded fins.

Here's a few pics from http://southernapistos.com.

The top fish is a female, the bottom male

In this one, the bottom left is female, the one facing completely broadside is male.

HTH

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store