why won't my fish give birth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CerenaDaft

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
www.youtube.com
i have 3 pregnant mollies and at least 1 of them are about to pop. it has been a few days now and i don't know when they will give birth. i'm scared they have aborted the babies. i got 2 of them from the pet store about a week ago. i will post pictures later i'm at school right now

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, mine usually pop overnight, when the tank is dark. However, yours are likely just going to pop whenever they pop.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
they need a dark quiet place. like at night time. thats when most mine gave birth ( when i had them ) and a 10 gallon is kinda small for mollys, i wouldnt do then in anything less then a 20 ( either tall or long )

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Water change.

From my experience, water changes make most of my prego fish "pop".

CerenaDaft

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
www.youtube.com
i have done water changes at least twice a week. i turn off all my lights at night and i make sure the tank temp. stays the same.

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
I add in warmer water, that may have been why they were always giving birth.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
+1 warmer water does it. We had a BIG Mollie fry problem and then we got 4 Angels. No more Molly problems!

CerenaDaft

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
www.youtube.com
Thank you everybody fot the advice! I used warmer water when I changed the water last night and I woke up this morning to little abby fish in my tank! I spent the first 400 minutes of my day scooping them up with a net. I have saved 18 so far from being eaten and hopefully I will be able to save more when I get home! :D

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
All you really need to do is put some plants up in a corner for the fry to take shelter/cover on.

95% of my molly babies grew up because I had put in a fake floating plant for them. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store