Fish are dieing!! :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
As of now, my water params are Ammonia-0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, and Nitrate- either 40ppm or 80pp.

Over the last 3-5 days the following fish have died
-2 1.5" albino cories
-1 1.5" peppered cory
-1 red glofish
-1 male guppy
-and today, the worst of all, 1 of my baby synos! :(

I'm doing a 50% water change again tonight, removing any decaying plant matter, and making sure I get any crud off the sand.

All the fish are eating well and show no signs of illness, why the recent deaths? Is is really just from the high nitrates? Any advice at all I would appreciate greatly.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Oh it's the 55 gallon in my sig, just take off 1 guppy, 1 syno, and 1 glo fish and 3 cories :(

The glofish and cories are new additions, got them about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I didn't QT them, I know that was bad, but so far no has gotten sick.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I always heard nitrate should be less than 20. so to me 40-80 sounds high. That would be my first guess. Second thing would be the new fish that were not qt'd. Even though nobody shows signs of sickness, it can still be there. Glofish, I can understand dying. Genetically altered to glow more and die easily even though they are from the zebra danio group. (a zebra danio is still alive in my neighbors tank, overfed, alone, never cleaned the tank once, terrible) . Guppies, heard they arent very hardy so 40-80 nitrates could probably kill them pretty easily. I dont know any of your other fish as i am a noob.

Hope someone can help you out more than I can!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
40 is good. 20 is what most of us try to keep it at. now 80 is high but i doubt that would kill your fish but im not sure. if it happened really fast it couldve. the problem i see is the unquarentined fish. always quarentine except maybe if you buy online. has anyone sprayed chemicals by the water? add anything new other than the new fish?

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
40 is seriously pushing it... Do a few large water changes and get yourself on a weekly 50% PWC schedule. You NEED to keep those nitrates down. At higher levels they can be just as deadly as ammonia or nitrite.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i think it would depend how long they were that high. what was the last time you did a water change? you might've had a mini cycle. you might want to test when you introduce new fish atleast for a week to make sure levels stay where they should be.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
40 is seriously pushing it... Do a few large water changes and get yourself on a weekly 50% PWC schedule. You NEED to keep those nitrates down. At higher levels they can be just as deadly as ammonia or nitrite.
I do about 15 gallons water changes every 2 days, my nitrates have always been high for that tank for the last month with all the WC. What could be causing it? I even have nitra zorb in there now. Put it in last Wed

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Prime.

Use some Prime in your WC's.. And don't feed for a day or two.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
I'm using prime actually, got it 2 weeks ago, and no feeding? What if I just fed only once a day rather then 3x? I feed frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, only as much as they will eat in 2-3 min, along with Cobalt blue flakes sometimes.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
high nitrates is a very unlikely cause at those numbers.

granted, i'm a little ignorant in this area, but your stock seems an unlikely combination for a 55 to me. new fish and anything you do different are always suspects.

have you been testing religiously since the added stock?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store