Community Bristlenose Breeding Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
I currently just set up a 75gal corner aquarium. Bristlenose plecos are going to be my choice of fish. I currently have a young normal color male and female. I just bought 2 baby albinos and 2 baby normal long fins. (my hope is to get a female of each of the 2 different baby types) so then i will have a male and 3 different females of different types of bristlenoses that he can breed with. My understanding is that he will breed with all of them? I will eventually get a long fin blue eyes female to join the breeding group. am I right about the single male mating with all 3 females? or does he choose only one mate?

i have a small school of zebra danios in the tank. what other fish will work good with the breeding of the plecos? they cant eat the eggs or the fry because i do not plan on taking the fry/eggs out of the 75gal when they spawn. corydoras? a pair or trio of pearl gouramis? what other small schooling fish? shrimp?

very interested in the pearl Gouramis. will they bother the fry and will a male and a female be ok or do you get a male and 2 females?

please any advice or suggestions?

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Yes, from what I have read he will mate with all females. I have also read that if he is guarding eggs the other females will be more interested in breeding with him. From what I understand he can guard more than one set of eggs/fry.

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
MY BUILD-

4 bn plecos.-(one male rest females so i can breed them)
6 corydoras-(not sure on type yet, possible pandas)
2-3 pearl gouramis- (1 male and 1 or 2 females) don't know what is best.
12 smaller schooling fish (not sure which. any suggestions?) not sure if i like the 6 zebra danios i have in there now.

i have the plecos and danios now.

any suggestions?

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I would think that with enough caves it would be fine?

one idea for making caves along the back would be to use eggcrate and great stuff foam to create a sort of terrace along the back 1/2?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i wouldnt do any other bottom dwellers the 4 you have are too much for the bottom of that tank. not much will work in that tank. maybe an angelfish if you didnt have the danios.

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
I am sorry AAF but after reading some posts you have done about what fish to put with what i am sorry but I cannot take your advise. I am not new when it comes to fish. i have been doing this for quite sometime. Just looking into breeding now though. Don't take it as disrespect or anything, I have just read one of your threads where you changed your make-up 100times. Cories and bn plecos will work great together, the plecos arent on the gravel too often. they chill on the walls or the driftwood and they will chill in the caves i make on the back wall when i figure something out to make them with. the tank will be understocked with the make-up i have above, this is because i will raise the bn plecos to about 3/4 of an inch before i sell them.

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
for the schooling fish i think i will do either Harlequins or Rummies. maybe like 8-10 of both? any word on this?

4 bn plecos.-(one male rest females so i can breed them)
6 corydoras-(not sure on type yet, possible pandas)
3 pearl gouramis- (trio) 1 male 2 females
15 of harlequin Rasboras or Rummy Nose Tetras

or

8-10 of each schooling fish

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store