Angel/Rainbowfish/Gourami etc - Centerpiece for open top planted 40B...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doc7

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
Hello all,

I'm not at the final plant stocking yet (that will likely be a years-long hobby of trial and error) but I'm ready to put livestock in my 40B. Specifically I am adding 3-4 amano shrimp a week until I get 15 probably, I moved over 7 cardinal tetras I've had for nearly a year in an unplanted tank last night, and I have 4 Otos in QT right now.

I have been considering various centerpiece fish for a while :

Angelfish - then I read more and more and realized he will possibly eat the tetras and likely eat the amano shrimp or chase them out of the tank. I could substitute tetras for other species but like the amano shrimp for their extra algae and scavenging abilities! So I think an Angel is out - also a 40 B with 3 inches of substrate only leaves 13 inches of water which won't show him off as well...

Rainbowfish - Yesterday I was real excited about this discovery. Instead of a big centerpiece, a small school of medium sized fish would do! Also wonderful coloration and probably ok with other tank inhabitants. Then I found that they are serious jumpers when it comes to open tanks. I have Coralife T5NO so dealing with dirty glass (or glass cleaning) is not something I look forward to. Maybe if I had HO I could cover the tank but don't think so with this setup.

Rams / Apisto Cichlids - looking for thoughts - are these fish that will primarily stay on the bottom of the tank and hide behind my driftwood?

Gourami - also jumpers? Also they need floating plants which will block out light and I find less attractive. I gave away a pair of honey gouramis in my old tank because I didn't like the floating plants.

Any suggestions or comments on above?

Thank you!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Dwarf Gouramis are def jumpers, so I'd assume regular ones would be as well.

How many tubes on your T5NO? Glass tops are rather simple to keep clean just wipe it down once a week when you do your water change.

Doc7

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
4 tubes (2 dual light fixtures). Stem plants grow rather leggy with the light 1" above tank. Running pressurized co2 and ei dosing. Good growth but not dense and no reds coming out.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
If you go with Rainbows, get one of the smaller species as the larger ones will definitely eat any shrimp present. I have a school of Australian Rainbows (M. Splendida) that easily swallow freeze-dried shrimp (1/2") whole and go back for more. They are voracious feeders, but awesome to watch.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'd get a glass top then if you really want any of those fish, as long as you give it a quick wipe down atleast every other week its a breeze to keep clean, if you wait for it to get all gunky then yeah they're a *****.

I think full size gourami's might be a threat to amano's too. Dwarfs would be shrimp safe I have a few dwarfs in with cherry and ghost shrimp. I don't keep any floating plant species with them either I just leave a couple clippings floating on the top between trimmings. The floating plants are mostly for if your trying to get them to breed they need the floaters for the bubble nest building.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
definately want one of the smaller body rainbows. They can get pretty big and really like room to swim. dwarf neons or celebes.

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Rams tend to stay close to the substrate, least from the ones I have owned, and even seen in videos.

I also have a 40B, great dimensions IMHO. For a center piece fish, I am still drawing a blank, even for my tank.. currently, my Bolivian Rams have about 50 wigglers to tend to.. so nothing too crazy to think about now lol.

I was thinking of an AF for my tank.. but also was worried about the height.. Good luck though! Will keep looking here to see what you choose!

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
Rams are great centerpieces, i really enjoy them. I do have a 50b though with angels and pricilla tetras in it. I think your tetras would probably be fine as long as you get the angels small and they grow up with tetras around...the amanos on the other hand.....idk angels do love shrimp snacks.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I think all of the fish you mentioned could be potential jumpers and snackers!! I've lost 2 angelfish to jumps.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I think all of the fish you mentioned could be potential jumpers and snackers!! I've lost 2 angelfish to jumps.
Really? i've got mine in an open tank and they haven't even made me worry about jumping

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store