Need help on Angels 5th brood!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
The first brood they tended as eggs, let hatch, started watching out for them, then ate them all. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th they ate as eggs.

Currently, the 5th, they let hatch again and are now rearing them. We are leaving the light on 24x7. But we did that with the 4th too and they still ate the eggs. Although I did remove the background as it appeared they were fighting it and I noticed that they could see their reflection in it.

So anyway the fry have all been moved to a leaf. I would like this batch to live. Should I just hope that they take care of them or should I remove them from the tank?

If they are "good" parents will they let them grow to adult-hood or is there some time even later when I will want to remove them?

Thanks!

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
No expert, but I was always under the assumption that you never want to remove eggs or wigglers, till they are free swimming... Or at least take 90% of the batch out, into a QT so the parents are "over-whelmed" with so many babies.

No expert though.. lol

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
If you are hoping for parent raisers I would leave them alone. If they have started moving them around you should feel pretty good about them raising them. It may take several spawns for them to get it right. Are there any other fish in the tank with them? If there are they might get stressed and eat the babies. What size of tank is it? I had all my pairs in 20H's and would leave the spawns in with the parents until they took on an angelfish shape. If you leave them in with the parents too long they (the babies) might pick the parents to death. I would move them (or the parents, whichever is easier) to a growout tank if you want to keep the majority of the hatch.

Good luck,

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
Thanks! That helps a lot. It is a 27g hex and the only other occupants are 5 medium sized peppered cories. Removing the background seems to have calmed them a bit more.

CerenaDaft

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
www.youtube.com
sometimes it takes a few broods for the parents to get the hang of raising the babies. im only a newbie but they probably saw their reflection and thought it was other fish and became stressed.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Ive seen studies, (mostly for ram's, but I would guess it applies here too) that say having a couple of other fish in the tank without things being overwhelming makes for better parents.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I would remove the cories - when the babies start free swimming they will be close to the bottom more than likely and become cory snacks. I put some bronze cories in my breeding tanks thinking it would help keep the bottom clean - big mistake. They ate the ones they could catch and it really stressed out the parents. You might have to wait until they go free swimming and the parents are busy keeping them together. I have read about dither fish also (something for the parents to focus on) but I never used them with my angels. The best way I found to bond a pair together was to let them breed in a 90 gallon with a bunch of other angels. They would choose an end, lay their eggs and then keep everyone at the other end until the eggs hatched or were eaten.

Hope that helps,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store