Need schooling fish ideas to stock in my 72g!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
So I have a heavily planted 72 gallon bow front with 3 med driftwood pieces each now attached with its own moss,(Flame, Christmas, Java), and a good sized slate cave type design with slits in between rocks for the BGK to hide in during lighted hours.(He loves it). As for my other fish stock I have 4 gourami; 1opaline, 1flame dwarf, 1paradise, 1golden... they get along pretty well each other, small chases here and there but never nipping or fierce chases. and 2 false juili cories.(buying a few more really soon). Now as the plan goes I will get a couple of bamboo/fan shrimp (unless new information shows against that) and originally wanted 7 angels (came across information that 1 angel per 10g) However now I find that they may get quite violent with each other when grown. So I am wondering what kind of schooling fish should I go for instead? Needs to be big enough to not get eaten by the BGK when he grows (~2-2.5" right now) Tell me your ideas!:nilly:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Rainbowfish. Rainbowfish won't be eaten, they get to be pretty big themselves. Now, I'm not good with shortened names, what does BGK stand for?

Another suggestion would be larger tetras likes penguins or skirts.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I don't know what BGK stands for either. If thats something like Black Ghost Knife. Then I wouldn't suggest rainbowfish. All the other fish in your tank are calm slow moving, throw rainbows in there and it will stress them out. Rainbows never stop and you need fish that are active with them that won't stress. But then again they might act like a dither fish for the ghost knife. It's hard to say, I would suggest some type of larger tetra fish, big enough not to get eaten but slow moving still.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Hey I have a 75 gallon myself and today I just got Emporer tetras! They are a really cool schooling fish that are peaceful amongst themselves as well. Get like 4 inches or so, actually they look ALOT like my Madagascar rainbowfish

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
you could go classic with guppies

be sure to get one breed so that the colors stay nice

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
BGK does stand for Black Ghost Knife, I was actually browsing petsmart today to pick up some flourish tabs for the plants and looked at the new shipment of rainbows, they look nice but if its true that they move fast and stress the other fish then maybe a second thought on them. The emperor tetras and guppies are a bit small and when the BGK gets bigger guess who will start dissapearing?

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
the guppies reproduce readily so the population wouldnt drop as quickly as tetras

and you would be certain that the BGK would be getting fed

if guppies are too small then try platies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store