angel fish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
I will make this post short and sweet. I am looking to build a tank to house some angel fish. I am looking to be building a cube tank, at least 40gal. but will get something else if a deal pops up. I am not new to aquariums, though I am just getting into heavily planted tanks. I would like to take some of the stuff I am learning from the planted board and make a tank special for angels. I had a beautiful marble angle a few years ago, however he did not survive the bumpy move to the rocky mountains. :( I would like to house a good group of angels, and a small community of other peaceful fish.
I was curious how many fish I could house fully grown and comfortable. also wondering what if any inverts are friendly with angles. I am completely open to idea and suggestions as far as community fish or lighting, plants, filter, substrate. I will be basically starting from an empty tank with the goal to build the ideal set-up for angel fish. I have a few other projects going on, so this one will not likely be finished until spring, but if a good deal calls my name I may sideburn the other projects...
I am looking forward to hear some ideas or suggestions from some of the breeders out there. I love seeing little angles swimming around.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if you have Adults.. you should look for a bonded pair.
Angels can be con specific aggressive...meaning aggressive on it's own species.. this typically happens when a pair bond forms.
if you house more than 1 angel in a small(er) tank they will create a pecking order..and you will see this aggression.

you can start this tank with several 4-6 young angels.. you may form a pair from this..if they do form up you will need to remove the others..
if no pair forms then be wary of aggression..a 40 does not leave much room for adult angels to hide.

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
I got the tank I am working with. I ended up sticking it out until I found a larger tank. It is an 80 gal tall. should be great for what I want to do. I have a build thread going on the planted forum currently. I am pretty excited to see things progress.

Auburn.Tigers

AC Members
Feb 13, 2012
I agree with Star_Rider. A group of angels is great, just be wary of aggression. I had 5 angels in a 55 gal. The eldest two began breeding but weren't overly aggressive unless the others got into their territory. Then two others paired off and they all began picking on the little guy. Once I removed him I didn't have any aggression problems. If you want to raise fry I would recommend only having one pair as any other angels in the tank will be a threat. I can only raise fry in the tank if both my pairs spawn within a few days of each other - they can't distinguish their own young so they lovingly care for any fry that comes their way. ;)

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
thanks for the pointers, I am curious however, about how long it usually take them to pair out. I want to put a 60 cube in my bathroom, this will be my breeding tank. Is it better to move the pair as soon as they have paired or wait until they show signs of mating before moving them into the breeding tank. Thanks again for the suggestions and pointers.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
pair can form as early as a few weeks/months depending on age..you will see aggression before they actually spawn or mate.

the most common method for getting pairs is to get 6-8 young ngels and let nature take it's course...when theystart pairing you'll need to watch aggression as it can become deadly for non paired angels in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store