Changing color

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mela

AC Members
May 9, 2011
orange park fl
Real Name
Melvin Avery
I took a big 8 in pleco from a tank with a bunch of crawdads. Put it in a large 30 gal tank. The bottom has white gravel. My pleco has turned white. It`s diet hasn`t changed att all. Seems to be healthy very active.

Any one have any ideas? tks

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
plecos will often try to blend in with whatever surface they are on.

i have baby bristlenose plecos in a tank that has dark driftwood and tan coloured play sand. i have watched a baby come off the wood and onto the sand just yesterday, and slowly lighten in colour to match the sand as close as it could.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Yes they do change colors, at least some of them. My yellow pleco obviously stays yellow at all time, I am sure zebra and other specially colored ones do too. But any brown regular color pleco can change a little. I have a calico pleco that was on black sand as a baby and it turned almost as black as the sand. In his tank now it's brownish pea gravel and he looks like his normal color.

Shrimp will do this as well, that is why cherries are best on dark colors because then they turn super red, on white sand they kind of become clear and lose a lot of there color.

mela

AC Members
May 9, 2011
orange park fl
Real Name
Melvin Avery
Hey folks tks for the replys. I was begining to wunder if I`d done something wrong and hurt one of my babies. Am maddly working on bigger tank so every one will have way more room.

Tks Mel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store