90 gal, cross-brace?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dubeckyj

AC Members
Mar 8, 2011
Hey all.

I'm finally filling up my 90 gallon tank, and I noticed it has no cross-brace. The black trim on top is still in place, and has no signs of a broken brace; it looks like it just didn't come with one. I'm a little worried, because my 37 gal at 30" long has a cross-brace (with 7/16" thick glass). The 90 has 1/2" thick glass over 48". Is the extra thickness enough to support that much more water, or should I fab something up to be on the safe side?

Dubeckyj

AC Members
Mar 8, 2011
No idea. I bought it a few years back from somebody selling it as an aquarium. Re-sealed it & didn't think about it until now. It's holding water, but I think it's more of a time issue than a proof load issue.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Its likely a reptile tank then, if you resealed it thats why its holding the water but all fish tanks of that size have a cross bar (or you can clearly see where it used to have the bar). Unfortunately if it is bowing too noticeably I would not use it. It will stress the glass and will take less to break it totally not to mention if you did the seals yourself (not saying your bad at it) but you cant be sure how effective it is.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
It sounds like an old style 90G tank with that thickness of glass.

Can you measure the left and right end at the top, from front to back, and compare to the middle to see if you have any noticeable bowing?

Dubeckyj

AC Members
Mar 8, 2011
Bottom, middle, and top are 48" dead. Not even 1/32" difference. Can't see any evidence of bowing by looking at it from all angles, either.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Measure from the front to back of the tank in 3 places.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I have several older 75's w/out cross braces, you're most likely fine as long as the seals are intact.

Dubeckyj

AC Members
Mar 8, 2011
Measure from the front to back of the tank in 3 places.
Sorry, I didn't read the instructions thoroughly the first time. That makes a lot more sense.

It's 18 1/8" at the top on the sides, and 18 1/4" in the middle. This is over the top trim, but I measured it all along, and it's even enough and centered enough to point to bowing, and not an issue with the trim plastic. How much of a concern is 1/8" bowing on 1/2" glass with 350 lbs of water behind it? (It's a good thing I set it up right beside the basement sump)

Just measuring my 37 for fun, it looks like it's 12 7/16" on top at either end, and 12 1/2" at the center over the brace. Is some bowing normal?

Thanks for all the help, guys.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
1/8" difference is similar to what I have on plastic trim, no center brace tanks. Even my 125G with dual braces has a similar deflection.

I think you are good to go!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store