Quick cure & Synodontis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ouze

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2011
Hello all,

I have a african cichlid tank with 2 synodontis in it (one a multipunctatus, one an indeterminate type). I got some new labidochromis, and, this is my fault, I didn't quarantine them.

So now I have a variety of ailments (or possibly just one, really). One of the labidochromis appears to have ich, and many of the fish are now flicking against the gravel and walls.

I've got some quick cure (malachite green + formalin), but I'm wondering how safe it is to use with my Synodontis cats. My plan was to use a half dose of 30 drops (55 gallon tank), repeat that again for the next 2 days, and wait another week (10 days today), while simultaneously increasing the temperature (as well as removing my filter carbon and increasing aeration).

Is it safe to use a full dose of 55 drops? Alternately, is it unsafe to even use the 30 drops? How should I proceed?

Thanks!

Joe

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
I have used Quick Cure with my Syno (full dose) and it was fine. Near the end of treatment it developed a white patch on its body near its tail. This went away with no harm or scar. Syno Eupterus and was full grown. (6+ in.) I dont know if the white patch was from the meds or not.

Ouze

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2011
Oh snap. Looking at a GIS of Syno E, that actually might be what I have.

OK, thanks for the advice. Going to up the dosage and also turn off the lights.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Oh snap. Looking at a GIS of Syno E, that actually might be what I have.

OK, thanks for the advice. Going to up the dosage and also turn off the lights.
Is it full grown? They look way different when full grown.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I have also used quick cure successfully with syno cats. I think mine are synodontis nigriventris although possibly syno eupterus, they're still young. I experienced zero problems and the med worked better than any other ick med i've used before for some reason.

Ouze

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2011
Mine now is about 5 inches are so. I'll see if I can get a picture of him, but he's extremely shy.

Ouze

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2011
OK, I had my first fatality - a red zebra. He was in pretty bad shape to begin with though.

I don't see the multipunct right now, but that doesn't mean anything; sometimes I don't see him for a few days.

Reading the instructions for quick cure, it looks like I do 55 drops per day for 3 days. That seems a little iffy. No water changes? Doesn't seem right. I did a search here and someone else recommended 30% daily water changes.

Also, the water appears to no longer be stained blue. I have one of those bio wheel filters, and I removed the pads, but left the wheels in since I'm 99% sure they have no charcoal. Now I'm not so sure, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store