Moss bubbling?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So I bought some xmas moss in with the hopes of attaching it to a stump and making a tree lol But until the tank is free from goldfish I just put it in a glass and left it on the windowsill to hopefully grow and heal up from transport. I looked at it today when it was sunny and there were quite a few bubbles on the top of the water. There is nothing else in the glass and its been in there for about a week but just today I put it on the windowsill... what does it mean/is it good or bad?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
are you noticing any bubbles on/in the moss itself? could be the moss 'pearling', which is a result of excess oxygen being produced by the plant. plants pearl when they are happiest and healthiest.

WildForFish

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
California
Hello.

It is called pearling,

plants will pearl if they have enough light and is part of the photosynthesis process.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Ok thats what I thought but I just wanted to make sure it didnt mean they were getting too much sun.. I want this thing to grow! lol

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
you'll notice algae in the container if it's getting too much sunlight.

moss grows slow, from what i have seen. be patient grasshopper :)

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Lol yea I just want it to be thriving and healthy since the tank it will be going into will be low-light (standard 10gal lighting) but it will at least be up high. I read it makes a cool tree-like appearance when attached to driftwood so I thought itd be a cool thing to try. if it doesnt ill just have a mossy log anyway

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store