Possible Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmedic25

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
Ive noticed a small amount of flashing from a few of my demasoni. Maybe just one, I dont see any spots. The fish seem fine. Its just occasional, for a second or two. Should I treat or wait? Is this normal? Should I never see any flashing?

Last edited:

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Flashing can be normal. Don't treat until you see the dreaded spots.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Occasional flashing is likely territorial marking. Keep a close eye on the tank, and if they show signs of ich other than occasional flashing treat then. It doesn't sound like ich flashing though.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Flashing is also due to water chemistry if your hardness is lower than expected for Africans than flashing can and will occur, usually with Ich when flashing or scraping is often, you will see the protozoa on the fish and at that time is when you need to treat. Check your PH and hardness and see what your levels are, check your Nitrates as well..

SpruceGruve

Snail
Jul 17, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Real Name
Steve
even if its not ich increase the water temp for a couple days and add a lil extra aq salt.

i have never needed meds for ich, just a good water change, increase temp for a couple days and add some salt.
i have never lost a fish to ich.

but if you have parasites you dont want to increase the temp, that will just make them worse

Last edited:

Navyscuba

The Fish Envy
Jul 5, 2009
Bartlett,TN
www.thefishenvy.com
Real Name
Angel Rivera
+1

even if its not ich increase the water temp for a couple days and add a lil extra aq salt.

i have never needed meds for ich, just a good water change, increase temp for a couple days and add some salt.

but if you have parasites you dont want to increase the temp, that will just make them worse

jmedic25

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011

Im confused...The first sentence you told me to raise the temp. Then the last sentence you said not too because it makes them worse.???

jmedic25

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
The only water perm that could be better is the hardness. Its a little soft. Any suggetstions on raising it? Nitrates 0-10 ammonia=0 ph 8-8.2 GH is 75

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store