how often will this work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
how often do bettas and RCS get along? id really like to get another betta for my 10 gallon heavily planted and RCS will definitely be in there. i plan on buying one of the "fancy show quality" bettas of aquabid. also how hard is it to ship fish during winter? impossible?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
well depends where you live, im sure its never impossible but it is certainly more risky in the winter! here in Fl im positive fish can be shipped year round with a heat pack. I dont know about freezing temps however I just have no xp with it!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I've had fish shipped in the winter all the time. actually, I prefer to ship in the winter, because IME the heat packs they use to ship fish work better than the cold packs they use. I would never order during a heat wave, but I have ordered multiple times in the dead of winter- so long as you're not expecting any snow storms, I'd go ahead with it.

as for bettas and shrimp together, its really a crap shoot.

what you could do is find a breeder that would be willing to test the bettas out with the shrimp; you could try ultimatebettas forum, there are a lot of (IMO helpful) breeders there. but I doubt any betta it going to be able to coexist with a breeding colony; they'll likely think of the shrimplets as tasty snacks...

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
but I doubt any betta it going to be able to coexist with a breeding colony; they'll likely think of the shrimplets as tasty snacks...
:iagree: Your betta will appreciate that set up. Your shrimp on the other hand not so much.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Yummy, Shrimp cocktail. My betta munches up any RCS I put in his tank right away.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
liek I said, dependson the betta. some may actively hunt the shrimp- adult and shrimplets alike. others may harass them, or pick off a few. most all will eat the shrimplets.

if you have the shrimp/money to spare, you could try it. ordering from aquabid is going to be a major crapshoot as to whether the fish likes shrimp snacks or not.

personally, I would choose between the shrimp and the betta. if you do cherries, introduce a few first, see how they are received, and if they do alright for like a month, then add more.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
hmm ill just do some nano schoolers then or try it with my current betta first and if he does good with them ill just get a new betta for his 5 gallon.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've had mixed results with betta's and RCS, some have left the shrimp alone others hunted downed every single one in the tank. I have a shrimp only tank for breeding them, and transfer some into my community tanks once they're big enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store