Need advice on fry!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
I decided to suck up a load of Angel fry with a turkey baster and put them in a floating fry tank in the same tank. I left a dozen or so in the tank for the parents to try to rear but after 4 failed broods I really would like some of these to survive. Well of course the parents can see the fry in the floating fry tank and are trying to get them to put them back to their location on the leaf.

Is this too stressful for the parents? They have already slowed down their attempts to round up their brook from the fry tank. All of the fry are free swimming now and there are 5 cories in the tank too so I am concerned the fry will drift to the bottom and become a snack.

I could move the entire fry tank to another tank if that would be less stressful for the parents. My goal was to wait until they were a bit larger and then let them out with the parents (how large?). Not sure if the parents would try to eat them if they were without contact for that long and then they were released back to the main tank.

Need advice!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
Our fry only tank is full of cories from our cory breeding (trying to give them away). The cories are pretty much full grown at this point and I am pretty sure they will eat the fry as Angel fry do float around the bottom a lot. I am tempted to move the fry to the 120g display tank in their floating fry tank. I have 4 large Angels in that tank so it would be interesting to see if they would know that the fry were Angels and try to protect them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store