Tank Emergency - Power outage caused drastic water temp drop - what to expect?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doc7

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
Power is back online now but in the time it was off, my tanks ( 20 G with tetras and cories, 15 G with 4 Otos in Quarantine as new acquisitions, and a heavily planted 40 Breeder w/ Tetras and Amano Shrimp) dropped in temperature from usual 78ish down to low 60s, around 63 degrees.

Everything is back up and running now (had to rinse out canister filters prior to them coming online as the outage was 16 hours in duration) but I am wondering if I will see an Ich or other disease outbreak in the next 2-3 days as I have read can happen with stressful temperature fluctuations... Everything was alive and swimming (the otos were grazing on lettuce even that i didn't take out of the tank even though maybe i should have) this morning when the power came back on but I dont know how long they will last now.

Should I be treating the tanks with anything? My QT tank is already being used by 4 new otos so I will have to treat everyone in-situ which probably sucks for the planted+shrimp tank!

Additionally should I reset the QT period on the Otos or is 2 weeks from now long enough to say that this didn't cause any set backs and they can go into main tank, that will be 4 weeks of total quarantine...

thank you so much

for the record i did wrap tanks in blankets and float hot water bottles as much as i could but still had this drop

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
No point in in performing any pretreatments of any fashion as doing so might create more harm than good. As far as an ich outbreak, yes it could happen but there is a a difference between could and will. I don't think it is necessary to reset any treatments or QT periods and should just continue. Although your questions are very legitimate, you need to wait and see. The only additional step you might take at this time is to test your water and see if it needs to be changed. You should wait until the tank is at normal temperature before doing so.

You have done all that you could do at present now you need to sit back and pray.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I agree, the thing to do now is wait and see. definitely test water when temp is back to normal.

Doc7

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
No ammonia in any of the 3 tanks 24 hours after incident. One dead shrimp found yesterday. Not home from work yet to see the 48-hours-post-event situation.

How many days after this do I need to be extra wary of symptoms in fish? If they make it 3 days is an Ich outbreak or similar unlikely to be related, or is this a couple of weeks of watching?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I can't say for sure, but I do know ick has a life cycle. If it hasn't been in your tanks for a month or so it won't come out of no where. QT any new fish for the normal time, and try to keep the tanks stable to reduce possible stress. That's the best I can do.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Agree with Ex and Wiz. No sense pre-treating if you don't know if the fish will get ich. Just have medicine on hand in case they do, a temperature drop like that is a stressful experience for them.

Doc7

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
Everyone still looks happy and healthy!

Going away for 4 days tomorrow so hoping that they stay that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store