I want to revamp my stocking??? :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
After a lot of thinking, I want to change up my stocking, ONLY ONE MORE TIME, and then leave it, and I mean no more changing/switching up fish. Here are my two tanks
Tank 1- 55 gallons, lightly planted
-1 blood parrot (only 3-3.5" long now, she seems somewhat peaceful so
far)
-1 albino rainbow shark (chased my smallest gold gourami, but lets everyone else be)
-3 synodontis petricola (1" now)
-1 LF f BN pleco (1.5")

Tank 2- 55 gallons, moderately planted
-3 3 spot gouramis (2 females, 1 male, about 3" long)
-2 female gold gouramis (1 4" long, and 1 2" long, most peaceful of all the gouramis, both girls have troubles getting to the food, slower eaters, esp the larger one)
-5 glofish
-4 cochus blue tetra (1 male, 3 females)
-4 harlequin rasboras
-1 male guppy (he is an absolute brat, chases everyone, mainly glofish)
-3 kuhli loaches
-2 cories (2 peppered, 1 albino)
-1 fat ADF (about 2" long)

Out of all the fish, these are the only ones I am dead set on keeping
-1 blood parrot
-3 syndontis petricola
-1 LF f BN pleco
-3 kuhli loaches
-2 gold gouramis (they are really peaceful for gouramis)
-1 ADF

Who should I keep, who should I rehome? I was thinking of making
Tank 1- Anya and Demetre (yes, I love Anastastia ;) and Friends
-2 blood parrots (I was going to get another one)
-3 synos
-1 LF F BN pleco (Roxanne)

Tank 2- Greek Goddess's and Friends
-2 gold gouramis (Artemis and Aphrodite)
-3 kuhli loaches (Nim, Caitlin, and Rich)
-1 ADF (Kramer)
-a couple of large schools of fish and/or possibly some female bettas? :) (I'd get girls that have been together, my gouramis didn't mind my male betta at all ;)

So then I'd be rehoming
-3 blue gouramis
-1 albino rainbow shark
-5 glofish
-4 blue tetras
-1 male guppy
-3 cories

Would those be okay permanent stockings for the two tanks?

Last edited:

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Thanks in advance, I just want to get my stocking so I don't have to worry about rehoming in the future and can keep the same tank/fish after my final switch :)

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
The new stocking plans should be ok. The bioload on the first tank will get a bit high when the 2 BP are full grown, but I've heard they like company of other BP. I don't keep them so I can't say much more than that. I would have some schoolers in there for dithers. The second tank looks fine, though I'd probably add a couple more kuhlis and do one larger school of one species. I would not do female bettas as mixing anabantoids is asking for trouble, though it can work out depending on the individuals.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
I figured that about the BP's, but I'm a good water changer and read that once they hit 5", they slow down in growth. I don't think I'll add any dithers, just because I'll be overstocked and if their personalities get to be more aggressive as they get bigger :)

As for the other tank, I do plan to get 2 or 3 more kuhlis as well, but for the last 3 months or so no where has had them, and I ordered them specially, but the breeder has none I guess.

I was thinking for the final stocking

I've done betta sorioritys before with no problems (and I didn't know anything really, I just took 15 half dead female bettas from walmart (all of them, the last fish they had because they were going to stop carrying fish) dumped them in a 29 gallon, with fake plants and a few tropical fish, and had no problems at all :)

Or I might take out the harlequins, and get more cardinals and more bettas, so the stocking would be

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I think the issue is not female betta sororities themselves but the fact that you would be mixing them with the T. trichopterus.
This was what I was getting at. I've been able to mix a male betta and a platinum gourami, but it was a huge risk and not something I would recommend. I had two unusually laid back specimens. I also mixed those fish with dwarf cichlids and did not have issue. Mixing anabantoids of different species is asking for trouble.

Depending on the personality of the fish, a cichlid without dithers can result in a hiding cichlid and a stressed out cichlid. Dithers function to let the cichlid know it's ok, there are no dangers about.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
This was what I was getting at. I've been able to mix a male betta and a platinum gourami, but it was a huge risk and not something I would recommend. I had two unusually laid back specimens. I also mixed those fish with dwarf cichlids and did not have issue. Mixing anabantoids of different species is asking for trouble.

Depending on the personality of the fish, a cichlid without dithers can result in a hiding cichlid and a stressed out cichlid. Dithers function to let the cichlid know it's ok, there are no dangers about.
I had my male betta in the 55 gallon for a month (with all 5 gouramis and the shark), and there were no problems at all. No one chased anyone, but I figured when I put the guppies in there, I should just move him back to his 29 gallon, which is where he shall reside by himself :)

And I figured that if a male is okay with my more aggressive gouramis, then some females should be okay with my two peaceful gold gouramis. I swear, my glofish and male guppy are more aggressive then these two girls, even my blue tetras do more chasing.

As for dithers, I asked before about adding dithers, and people said that I was already too overstocked. So I can go ahead and add some dithers you think? I would love to have a school of long finned danios!!! :D Anya is def hiding more now that the two gold gouramis were put back in the other 55 gallon (because I saw my shark chase the little gold gourami), although I put in a couple more caves and she is slowly venturing away from her driftwood. I'm not sure if she is just more shy now, or if she wants to protect her cave from the shark? Either way, I am rehoming my shark now, which makes me kinda sad, but I don't want to worry about him being aggressive to Anya and when I get my new BP.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Just thinking out loud here, but I would be worried, personally, about the gouramis getting caught up in the pecking order of the female bettas. Females can be almost nastier than males. And to be quite honest, a month is a rather inconclusive time period, especially when considering that most issue arise as fish mature.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Just thinking out loud here, but I would be worried, personally, about the gouramis getting caught up in the pecking order of the female bettas. Females can be almost nastier than males. And to be quite honest, a month is a rather inconclusive time period, especially when considering that most issue arise as fish mature.
Hmmm I didn't even consider that.. darn I really love bettas. And well my male betta is at least a couple years old, but the gouramis are pretty young still, so that's true. Thanks for bringing that up. So no bettas at all then probably? I guess I'll have to wait til I can get another 30 gal tank or something or a million 5-10 gallon tanks for individual bettas ;)

I'll probably do a couple large schools of tetras then. I'll think more about it :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store