Nerite snail laying eggs on apple snail...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
So I've noticed that my Nerite snails have been laying eggs all over the tank... including on the shells of some of my apple snails?! Should I be worried or do anything about this? Like remove the snails? I guess I pulled a noob moved and didn't do any research on if the two types of snails are even allowed to be together. Both types of snails have been in the tank together for over a year now. These eggs are the first time I realized there might be an issue.

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
It's not an issue, unless the sight of all the eggs is a problem. The snails won't harm each other and nerite eggs won't even hatch in fresh water (only in brackish water). I have nerite snails in all my tanks and they do lay eggs everywhere but I think they're some of the best snails available so I put up with all the eggs.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i don't see how it could hurt the apple snail's shell at all. you could gently pick it off if you don't want eggs on shells. it will most likely leave a white little residue spot that won't come off, but that won't be harmful at all.

nerites and apple snails can live together no problem. jawasnack is right, nerite eggs need brackish water to hatch.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Is there a good way to get rid of those white rings after the eggs are gone? I've got them all over my 55 right now and while they don't normally bother me, sometimes I just want them gone.

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
If they're on your glass a straight edge razor blade seems to work the quickest with very little effort.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Nope. It's why nerite snail eggs and the residues they leave behind are plain ugly on the apple snail shells. No harm done, just annoying to look at.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store