Empty 30 gallon hex

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MidnightSkies

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
My 30 gallon hex tank just recently become empty, and while I'm in the process of taking it down and giving it a good thorough cleaning, I figured I'd get some stocking ideas. I want to sort of stay away from the community idea since I'm in the process of putting together a 55 planted community/female betta sorority. The best thing I could think of was a lone angelfish. I'm not against the idea of a single fish or species tank at all. I would prefer an interesting or odd fish, and preferably something with a good personality (bettas and puffers are my favorites). I don't want to go planted for this tank though.

I need suggestions! What would you do with an empty 30 hex? I'm open to all ideas!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Hex aquariums are hard because fish dont really do the swim up and down thing. They congregate at certain depths and swim lengthwise. To max out your stocking in a hex, you should consider selecting different species of fish that dwell in each tank zone. Good bottom dwellers with personality are peacock gudgeons. They're small, but brightly colored and have been said to have betta-like personalities: very curious and will flare at eachother, but wont fight. I really want to get a few of these. Males can be territorial while breeding though, so for a tank your size I would probably only get 1 male and a couple females. Rainbowfish are generally top dwelling and they can be really pretty in a school. A betta could also work since they generally sit near the top.

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
Man you really want those gudgeons don't you Vanessa, second post today recommending someone get them lol. I agree though, not many options with a hex but DO NOT do the angelfish. I did one in my 29 hex and it immedietely became shy and frail. Put it in the 55 planted and it perked right back up :)

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
lol yup I do! BF is starting to give in on the idea of letting me have my 20gal set up in the living room. From everything I have read and seen, they look like the neatest fish: pretty and small, but with big personalities. Was going to get some for my fluval edge, but thought that 2.5" would be too big so I went with embers as a secondary fish instead since they school with neons. Ever since I saw them flare at each other at the LFS just like a betta I've wanted one. Just have to do my daily grind on my bf's willpower. :hypnotized:

MidnightSkies

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
I've actually had peacock gudgeons previously. Mine were in a community set up though and I definitely wouldn't recommend they be kept in one. They would really do best in a species tank. They just aren't aggressive enough eaters. Even with target feedings it was still difficult to make sure they got enough food.

That's strange, I've never heard of that happening before. Considered putting one into the community, but with all the horror stories I've heard of them growing up to be terrors I've been thinking twice. With all the fish I've owned though, I've never owned a single cichlid and I've been searching for one that would fit in one of my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store