Similiar sized tank mate for blue gouramis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Hello,

My blue (three spot) gouramis female, Marley, first lived with a betta sorority and 2 dwarf gouramis.

All of those other fish (over the years) have died.

She is has become rather skittish now. (Hanging plants on the surface doesn't seem to help.)

The bronze cory (the older one) is the closest to her size so she tries to sit on her/him sometimes lol.

I would like to find her a tank mate that is (will be) nearly her size (she is 4.5") but not quite as large as her (under 4"), and has similiar swimming habits so she won't feel alone.
NOT another gouramis. (I would love that but she won't.)

I have tried (earlier this year or late last year) introducing another gouramis, but that didn't go so well.
The first was an opaline (I think, petsmart is just great with their labels), the first 2(?) weeks Marley chased her around, then got used to her. But then the new fish decided that Marley's spots were food and kept trying to eat them and she ended up going to a home.
Next I tried a dwarf gouramis (she had lived with them before peacefully, so I thought that should work...), that did not work. She wanted to eat it. Even after a few weeks had gone by, she didn't try as hard to catch him, but she still wanted to eat him lol. He's gone now too.

She did really great when I had a school of both female bettas and platys in with her, but I'd like to try something else. (and they don't sell female bettas here anymore. :( also most of the first sorority I had were longer/bigger than all the females I've had since.)

She seems to like the fish nearly her size, or at least half, the best. I think something bigger than her would scare her, and I don't really want to put another fish as big as her in the same 29g, I don't think they'd have enough room to swim.

I haven't found much (books and web) so far, so was wondering what other fish aroundish 3inches ish y'all have with your gouramis that do well.
Or some other fish that they seem to really enjoy the company of.

Thanks.

Other fish that are / might be in same tank (doing some rearranging and reaquiring):
black khulies - maybe
2 bronze cories (+ 1-2 more, bronze or other, not sure yet)
1 or more platys - maybe (have 1 right now)
2 otos (I just found a piece of tail from the one I couldn't find! :*( )
1 neon tetra (all that's left)
1 white cloud minnow (all that's left. the neon and minnow are getting along swimmingly ;) )
1 betta - maybe

It is planted, just redid it with dirt and pfs recently, some of plants are starting to come back some are still melting...
Has AC 70 & 50 + medium sponge filter

pH about 6.8 - 7.2
hardness: about 150
alkalinity (color doesn't match those listed, ever, so unsure)

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
How about a paradisefish? They both live in Vietnam, so it's a pretty natural fit. They'll get to about 3.5".

Eric

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I like the ram idea...especially Bolivian rams. Much hardier than blue/gold/german rams, larger (up to 4" for the males), and very personable. That would be a great choice!

Eric

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
I thought rams were snails?? lol

are they cichlids?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Yep, there are Bolivian Rams and German/Gold/Blue rams (all the same species - just color variants). They're South American dwarf cichlids.

Eric

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I have 2 blue gourami's with bolivian rams, black phantom's and geo. steindachneri, a bit of
a mix but the bolivians and geo's were given to me. They all get along really well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store