Tank mates for Oscars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shannon B.

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Hi! I am interested in getting some information on possible tank mates for Oscars. I have a 125 gallon tank and I love Oscars. The only problem is, I have had many problems with aggressive Oscars in the past. I've been considering Firemouth Cichlids, Bala Sharks, Iridescent Sharks, Gars, and Clown Loaches as possibilities. I previously had 2 Oscars in the 125 tank, but had to get rid of them because they did not get along with each other at all. I'm not interested in breeding any fish either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for possible tank mates, especially any other fish with personalities similar to Oscars who are maybe less aggressive? Also, on how many and how big they should be to start with? Also, is it better to start with smaller or larger Oscars? I've always gotten them at about 1" to start before... I'll probably stick with only 1 or maybe 2 Oscars, depending on the feedback I get.

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
I have a 125 that I started around May. In it I have 1 oscar, 1 jack dempsey, 1 pleco, 3 silver dollars. There haven't really been any aggression problems. The oscar and dempsey started off around 1". Silver dollars started around 3. Pleco around 3 as well.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Remember, IR sharks get HUGE, I MEAN HUGE. A 125 is no where near big enough.

I am not sure what Gar you are speaking of, but most get giant as well.

In a 125 try a single Oscar with a 8-10" facy pleco, some silver dollars and some smaller geophagus sp.

GL
ttl

oscarlvr

AC Members
Dec 19, 2001
Edmonton, Alta
try the choclate ciclids, (h temporalis), nice color as adults and very non aggresive, i agree with silver dollars, how bout a severun or two., even larger bala sharks, or med sized loaches

good luck

bob

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I have a Blood Parrot with my Oscar. The have grown up together, and get along great. I know that Blood Parrots are controversial, but I think I tried every other cichlid with no avail. The BP and Oscar hang out together, and even go in the same pot together. My Oscar is about 10" and my BP is about 4-5". They both were about 2-3" when I got them.

I also have a pink-tailed chalceus in the tank. That is a nice peaceful, colorful fish that is not aggressive. They would do nicely in your tank, and don't get quite as big as the balas. They stay around 10".

I would definately get all the cichlids as juvies so they have a better chance of getting along when they are bigger.

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
I think your best best would be Severums or the original Parrot cichlids, if you can find them. These fish like the same water parameters as Oscars, grow to a decent size (9" and 12" respectively) and defend themselves well without being scrappy like a Firemouth or Convict would be. By NOT scrappy I mean they are easy going until cornered or picked on. I think Severums have good personality as well (never kept Parrots).

Last edited:

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I think most cichlids that would not be able to get eaten by the oscar would be good. Convicts, dempseys, or blood parrots are some common cichlid i've seen with oscars. There is also the occasional pacu, but those get way too big for a 125.
I think a needlefish is a gar and may do fine with an oscar. They get up to a foot though and like to school. I don't know much about the fish so you may wanna look up on that.

Shane

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Pearl City, Oahu, Hawaii
Visit site
Possible Tank Mates

For a 125 GL. there are a few options. (my opinion) Though each fish would require an attentive approach to co-existence. here are my suggestions: in temperment order...

1) Uaru amphiacanthoides (Uaru) a large slow moving fish with a suprisingly peaceful temperment for a cichlid. These species can take care of itself quite well in the presence of other predatory fish such as the oscar.

2) Cichlasoma cyanoguttatum (Texas Cichlid) simmilar to the Carpinte Cichlid. Nice coloration and grows to 12".

3) Morulius Chrysophekadion (Black Shark) an Omnivouros south east asian, A very hearty species and speaking from experience, other "big" fish don't know what to make of them. The coloring starts out black and turns velvety as they mature. they grow up to 20" and thrive in a climate similar to South American Cichlids. Primarily: Borneo, Sumatra, Thailand, and Cambodia. They relish supplemental green foods and are a big help to your bottom feeders, since they prefer the lower level of the tank. They do cruise! and are always looking for a meal. Younger ones are almost depicted as a " Tedious and Nervous" species. Once mature, they can take care of themselves. If looking this up and finding species, they are also classified in the genus "Labeo"Quite a treasured fish.

3) The "Nasty's" : Jack dempsey's, Green Terrors,Red Devils, Managuense(The Ultimate) then theres a Dovii....

munkee

AC Members
Oct 21, 2001
Re: Possible Tank Mates

Originally posted by Shane

3) The "Nasty's" : Jack dempsey's, Green Terrors,Red Devils, Managuense(The Ultimate) then theres a Dovii....
er.. i'd try to avoid doviis, RDs, jags and texas cichlids..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store